Comedians

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/11/2006 11:11 pm
What comedians do we all like?

I dig MItch Hedberg cause of his off the cuff randomness and how every joke isn't about who or what he f****ed last night. I also get the occasional chuckle from Dane Cook because of all the easy to relate to allusions.

How bout all you? I love stand up and want to find more good comedians but find most of them blow.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/11/2006 11:55 pm
Oh, yeah, I love good stand-up acts, too! But I don't often remember their names.

Mitch Hedberg was cool, for sure. I started listening to stand-up acts a while ago and can remember when Rowen Atkinson did stand-up at events like The Secret Policeman's Ball, which also included skits from the Monty Python guys and Billy Connelly. Billy was best early on, before he got cheap laughs from swearing all the time and not really being funny.

Old stand-up by guys like Stevie Wright and Rodney Dangerfield were funny then, but are a bit dated now. Still worth checking out if you aren't familiar with 'em.

Eddie Izzard can be funny sometimes. Again, I think his early stuff is best.

There's a female comedian I like, but I can't remember her name. She dresses in black pants and a black top; she's skinny, white and probably 40 years old; and she goes for short observational humour and puns, rather than stories. Hmm. I dunno who she is.

Mostly I like British comedians and some Canadian ones.
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/12/2006 1:32 am
Ha. I'm watching Just for Laughs right now.

Mitch Hedburg is great, as is Russell Peters. All his jokes are basically the same, talking about how it was growing up in Canada with Indian parents, but he's so good at it that he stays pretty fresh. And uh....he's the only one I can think of by name, probably because he's on right now.

Pretty much all Irish and British comedians are hilarious.
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/12/2006 2:05 am
Oh man, there's so many....

Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Craig Shoemaker, Richard Jenni, Richard Belzer, Bill Burr, Daniel Tosh, Alonzo Bowden, Nick DePaulo, Jim Norton, Jay Mohr, Chris Titus, Stephen Lynch (guitar player too!), Eddie Murphy (years ago, but the stuff is still funny), Drew Carey (yeah, yeah, I know - you wouldn't think so but I've seen him live several times and he's a howl), Lewis Black, Jon Stewart, Billy Gardell....

like I said, the list goes on and on and on....

I like British comics too but being here in the ol' U.S., I'm most exposed to our comics so I guess it only makes sense that I would like them more. I have seen some big names ( I LOVE stand up): Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, Jeff Foxworthy, Howie Mandel (back when he was funny), Jerry Seinfeld and many of the ones listed above.

I agree that Mitch Hedberg was one of the best. It's sad to think that he killed himself because he just didn't think he was successful. He had a HUGE cult following and I think that he was right on the edge of making it big. Too bad.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/12/2006 3:01 am
I've been watching the old American version of "Who's Line is it Anyway?" lately and man... it blows me away how they can do improvisation like that.
Especially (sorry don't know the names), the tall guy and the bald Canadian guy. If you watch the way those guys interact in scenes together, they're like the modern version of Laurel and Hardy or something.
# 5
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
08/12/2006 3:17 am
List of my FAVORITE stand up comics: Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor, Eddie murphy, George Carlin, Pablo Francisco, Adam Ferrara, Carlos Mencia, Aries Spears, Frank Caliendo, Jim Carrey. Etc.

Movie comics: Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Richard Pryor.

I watch comedy central tv 24-7!

* oh yeah, has anyone seen JIM BREUER'S act? He is freaking AWESOME!!!
He does a perfect impression of Ac/dc and James Hetfield too! A great Rock comic!

Hetfield-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Ctf1hquXI

Ac/dc- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrddcJ1HbZI

Watch those!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 6
RGX312l
RGX312l
08/12/2006 3:45 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeI've been watching the old American version of "Who's Line is it Anyway?" lately and man... it blows me away how they can do improvisation like that.
Especially (sorry don't know the names), the tall guy and the bald Canadian guy. If you watch the way those guys interact in scenes together, they're like the modern version of Laurel and Hardy or something.

I once nearly choked to death because I made the mistake of watching Who's Line Is It Anyway while eating dinner -- this is an even bigger health risk than working inside a nuclear reactor --- naked.
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 7
gogogo
gogogo
08/12/2006 4:57 am
Dave Chappelle-Funiest sketch artist I've ever watched
Chris Tucker-love em
Chris Rock-I can recognize his voice in any tv show, cartoon, movie...
Bernie Mac= greeeaaatt standup
Richard Pryor-Larger the life
Eddie Murphy-great actor
Tyler Perry-He writes some insanely funny stage plays...but some audiences find him hard to relate to...and If u want to watch a broadway-esque production look elsewhere...
# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/12/2006 6:31 am
George Carlin is my favorite. I like stand up mostly especially the classic stuff like Dangerfield and Pryor.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
08/12/2006 7:20 am
i dont watch much stand up but so far my favs are dave chapelle and russel peters...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/12/2006 12:55 pm
oh I love stand up...lets see:

Bill Hicks
Richard Prior
Eddie Izzard
Eddie Murphey
Chris Rock
Billy Connelly
Ardal O'Hanlon
Robbin William (I didnt spell his first name correctly, did I?)

I know I am missing a few

Did anyone watch that "Last Comic standing" show? not sure when it was on in America, but we only got it a few months ago...
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/12/2006 2:17 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneBill Hicks, man...

Thank God for that, I thought I was the only Bill Hicks fan left !!

He really was *&^%$#@ great !

Like George Carlin,
http://www.georgecarlin.com/home/home.html

Lewis Black,
http://www.lewisblack.net/

Dennis Leary,
http://endor.org/leary/

Eddy Izzard also !
http://www.eddieizzard.com/home.izz
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 12
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/12/2006 2:43 pm
For some reason, I have always liked Steve Martin.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 13
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/12/2006 3:28 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeI've been watching the old American version of "Who's Line is it Anyway?" lately and man... it blows me away how they can do improvisation like that.

Ryan Stiles and Colin Mockary, that show is hilarious, my favorite skit is props, the green screen, and the one where Drew picks stuff from a hat like "Worst things to say at a funeral" and they act out answers. Theres one with Robin Williams thats hilarious, I have to find it on youtube.

Heres my list:
-Robin Williams
-George Carlin
-Dave Chapelle
-Bob Saget (He doesn't do family humor on tv anymore :p )
-Lewis Black
-Craig Shoemaker
-Mitch Headburn (sp?)
-Richard Pryor
-Eddie Izzard......caio
-Harland Williams
-Jim Bruer.
I know I'm missin sum, but I have Sirius and theres a comedy station on there that kicks booty, highly recommended to get Sirus just for it.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/12/2006 5:32 pm
As far as sketch comedy, you cannot possibly beat Monty Python, Little Britain, and Kids in the Hall. Dave Chappelle is alright, but he's nothing compared to them.
# 15
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/12/2006 5:50 pm
How's everybody feel about SCTV?
Personally, I think they had a few funny sketches, but on the whole, I found the series almost unbearable to watch.
I always put their comedy at about the same level as 'House of Frightenstein' or 'Smith and Smith'
I don't know why, but with the exception of 'Kids in the Hall', I've never found Canadian comedians to be that humorous.
# 16
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/12/2006 6:13 pm
Love "The Red Green Show", some of Canada's finest !!

I have seen "The kids in the hall" a couple of time and found it to be really luke warm !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 17
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/12/2006 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonLove "The Red Green Show", some of Canada's finest !!

Yes, my media class went to a tapign. It was great, and my friend who was with me dressed up in flannel and got to be in the possum lodge bit at the end.

Wow, you fellas know your comedy. It's cool that i recognize a buch of these names from snl (jay mohr, jim bruer, eddie murphy...) but haven't heard their stand up bits.

I wish Darryl Hammond would come out with something, saw him on Connan and laughed my ass off.

I really don't dig comics like martin lawrence and dave chappelle cause i think the whole racial thing is f****ng retarded.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 18
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/12/2006 7:55 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyYes, my media class went to a tapign. It was great, and my friend who was with me dressed up in flannel and got to be in the possum lodge bit at the end.

Wow, you fellas know your comedy. It's cool that i recognize a buch of these names from snl (jay mohr, jim bruer, eddie murphy...) but haven't heard their stand up bits.

I wish Darryl Hammond would come out with something, saw him on Connan and laughed my ass off.

I really don't dig comics like martin lawrence and dave chappelle cause i think the whole racial thing is f****ng retarded.

Go out and buy Jim Bruer Hardcore, its funny as hell. Theres a bit on it about him coming home drunk when his wife's water broke.... "Go in the closet , get the bat, and hit me as hard as you can."

But speaking of SNL, Farleys and Murphy's work on there is classic, as well as Mike Myers.

Buckwheat sings!!! "Unce, tice, phee times a madayyyyy..."
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 19
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/12/2006 8:00 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccGo out and buy Jim Bruer Hardcore, its funny as hell. Theres a bit on it about him coming home drunk when his wife's water broke.... "Go in the closet , get the bat, and hit me as hard as you can."

But speaking of SNL, Farleys and Murphy's work on there is classic, as well as Mike Myers.

Buckwheat sings!!! "Unce, tice, phee times a madayyyyy..."

"Wookin pa nub in all the wong pwaces, wookin pa nub"

METOOB
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.