Why do Rap artist grab their crotch

DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
06/22/2006 6:30 pm
Does any one Know why performers do this?
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 1
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
06/22/2006 6:37 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraLmfao.

One of the most random questions I've seen on GT.
Ha Ha Ha You dont know either. :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/22/2006 6:51 pm
herpies is a bitch and rappers take it wheneva they can get it.
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
06/22/2006 7:11 pm
Cause rappers...o s***. Forget it.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
06/22/2006 7:19 pm
I think it's cuz they're holding up their pants... realistically...

But... you never know... crabs might be an epidemic in the rap community.
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/22/2006 7:20 pm
I assume the crotch grab is supposed to be some sort of "look at me, I'm a manly man" type gimmick. Or perhaps a subtle gesture of misogyny.
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
06/22/2006 7:24 pm
Because they're Morons!! :D
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
06/22/2006 7:27 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI assume the crotch grab is supposed to be some sort of "look at me, I'm a manly man" type gimmick. Or perhaps a subtle gesture of misogyny.

Subtle...YOU THINK THE MISONGYNY IN RAP IS SUBTLE??? :eek: :D
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/22/2006 7:37 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguySubtle...YOU THINK THE MISONGYNY IN RAP IS SUBTLE??? :eek: :D

No. But the grab itself is usually subtle. Unless you had your eyes specifically peeled for hand-to-crotch movement, you'd probably never even notice it.
# 9
pure
pure
06/22/2006 7:49 pm
Yo man what kinda question is that? I'm not feelin yall man, its like yall tryin to degrade rap music. I don't like all of the rappers who get rich by talking about wat they done have and what we don't got and degrading females but crotch grabbing is culture man. They just checkin if everything still there after the last time they got shot. No thats not why they grab it. If you got a problem with that, here's a question for you. Why do rock stars bang their head? Why do emo singers slit their wrists?

Oh and guess what. Crotch-grabbing comes from Michael Jackson. Does Michael Jackson rap? Yea thats what I thought. I am so Disapointed.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 10
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
06/22/2006 8:24 pm
Hmmm...nope, i still thinks it's ridiculous.

METOOB
# 11
pure
pure
06/22/2006 8:27 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyHmmm...nope, i still thinks it's ridiculous.
I mean, i've broken my leg and collar bone and i don't walk around grabbing them to 'make sure they're still there'.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=pure]They just checkin if everything still there after the last time they got shot. No thats not why they grab it.

10 characters
# 12
HDJ
HDJ
06/22/2006 9:11 pm
Originally Posted by: pureYo man what kinda question is that? I'm not feelin yall man, its like yall tryin to degrade rap music.

Rap isn't music, it's poetry set to a beat.....while I do consider it an art form, I don't consider it music.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 13
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/22/2006 11:53 pm
To be honest, head banging makes more sense than crotch grabbing. I know I see rappers bob their heads so they do both.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 14
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/23/2006 12:00 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKBecause they're Morons!! :D[/QUOTE]
+1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!

I always thought it was because their penises were so small that they always have to grab at it and tug it back out, just incase those big ass baggy pants they wear that hang completely off their ass happen to fall off. :confused:

yes, I'm just joking by that, but it is quite rediculous!

[QUOTE=pure]crotch grabbing is culture man.

This has to be one of the most rediculous statements I have ever read in my entire life! When the hell are people like that going to grow the **** up!!!!! :mad:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 15
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
06/23/2006 12:33 am
On the same token, while washing my car today (at the carwash) I saw a dude with his jeans all the way below his ass. Seriously, like his beltloop was around mid thigh area, just barely above the bottom of his boxers (which btw weren't stylish enough on their own to warrant us seeing them).
Why do they do it, and other behaviors you ask? Well the pants thing I know comes from jail, where they take your belt away, thus your pants droop. And being that rappers idolize the criminal lifestyle, they immitate it. As for the crotch grabbing, I hardly think they're trying to be like MJ...but are prolly using it for the same reason: shock factor, at least that's my guess. I can't seem to follow this line of reasoning very far!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 16
gogogo
gogogo
06/23/2006 1:08 am
As pure said believe it or not it is a type of cultural thing not crouch grabbin persay but it all comes with the territory like saggin pants baggy clothes expensive jewelry, fancy cars, jus parts of the lifestyle. Old sayin goes if u wanna get in u have to fit in. It's no different IMO than the psychedelic movement of the sixtees, disco of the seventees, ect. There's things that people apart of that seen did then that still baffle me now. I for one sag my pants and wear baggy clothing but it doesn't mean that I can't hold an intelligent conversation with someone or what not its just a choice I make to wear clothing I want and do things other people may not understand. I just think the Rap industry gets a bad reputation based soley on what comes across in videos and/or whats broadcast on television and mainstream media. Just my honest opinion take it or leave it lol :D
# 17
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
06/23/2006 1:35 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKRap isn't music, it's poetry set to a beat.

Poetry? Bullsh*.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 18
pure
pure
06/23/2006 4:28 am
Originally Posted by: gogogoAs pure said believe it or not it is a type of cultural thing not crouch grabbin persay but it all comes with the territory like saggin pants baggy clothes expensive jewelry, fancy cars, jus parts of the lifestyle. Old sayin goes if u wanna get in u have to fit in. It's no different IMO than the psychedelic movement of the sixtees, disco of the seventees, ect. There's things that people apart of that seen did then that still baffle me now. I for one sag my pants and wear baggy clothing but it doesn't mean that I can't hold an intelligent conversation with someone or what not its just a choice I make to wear clothing I want and do things other people may not understand. I just think the Rap industry gets a bad reputation based soley on what comes across in videos and/or whats broadcast on television and mainstream media. Just my honest opinion take it or leave it lol :D

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gogogo again.

PRS i didn't mean culture like that, i meant it's rap culture. its just what they do. like rockers bang their heads. and i have seen rockers grab their crotch so i don't know whats all this against rap. crotch grabbing didn't even come from rap it came from pop.

and btw, some do it just to hold their pants up cause in jail they're not allowed to have belts and they don't like wearing tight pants. and as somebody once said, they try to have a gangster criminal image.

and rap is poetry. MODERN rappers just screwed it up. listen to the older rap you'll find some good poetry. and it wasn't all about cars cash and girls either. it just got screwed up. i myself don't like modern rap as it is, but the older ones are really good. 90's rap. also try reggae. not reggaeton, reggae. you know like matisyahu and them. thats some nice music. just give it a chance. i think the worst kind of musicians are the ones that aren't open to other styles. i'm staying away from this thread.
# 19
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
06/23/2006 6:38 am
doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK!

Oh yeah, real poetry in motion right there... modern rap is about girls (but not refered to as girls, but as b*tches), money, flaunting of that money in some of the most retarded ways I have ever seen (such as grills, 24" spinner rims, and LCD tv's in places of the car that nobody can even see), it's also about growing up "in da hood" which, most rappers never lived "in da hood" so stop pretending! that's modern rap for you. now, you can't say that older rap was poetry though either, I mean, back in the 80's they were singing (or rather, rapping, since rapping is not singing because it doesn't require any vocal abilities) "I like big butts and I cannot lie!"

now that I'm done bashing on rap, I will say that yes I have heard some rap that WAS poetic, and was actually about something other than money. so I will not say I hate all rap. now, all that being said, I will admit that I actually do listen to rap. for the most part, I just hate rappers, not rap. and frankly, it's really the only kind of music you can actually dance to (other than techno, but that sets a different mood)

EDIT: oh yeah, and I don't believe that alot of credit should be given to rappers for their "talents" since the DJ is the one doing all the work. once you have a nice beat going it's really easy to lay some words over top of it that rhyme, and usually those words are the first things that come to mind, and for rappers, the first thing that comes to mind is always money or women. Don't believe me? you can find some free rap backings on the soundclick.com listings, just play them and start trying to rap over them with the first words that come to mind, you'll see it's way too incredibly easy.

/rant
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.