Anyone remember when...?

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/18/2001 5:11 am
I vaguely recall many years ago, receiving a Guitar Player magazine with a small article about this newfangled guitar playing guy called 'Yngwie'. Inside the magazine was a floppy vinyl 45rpm record with one of his recordings on it.
I swear I remember playing the record and feeling sick at how fast the guy was but also thinking that was maybe the last I'd ever hear of the guy cause nobody had ever heard of him before and he didn't have an album out etc etc....
Does anybody else remember this cheap vinyl 'first' record or was I existing in some parallel universe or something?
Anybody know what the date was?
# 1
Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
07/18/2001 4:05 pm
Youre not crazy schmange.Yngwie was and is fast but as far as dates of that Guitar Player with his vinyl in it i dont know. Sorry.
# 2
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
07/18/2001 4:23 pm
i agree, yngwie is one of my favorite guitarists, he is blindingly fast and never ceases to amaze me. i once played his guitar solo (trilogy suite Op-5, spasebo blues) for my friend who was a die hard van halen fan. it saddened him and he grungingly admit that yngwie was better.

anyways, sorry, i don't know the dates on the magazine, and its been a while since i've seen a 45 rpm, sorry

do you remember what song was on the record?
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 3
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/18/2001 5:43 pm
Originally posted by schmange
I vaguely recall many years ago, receiving a Guitar Player magazine with a small article about this newfangled guitar playing guy called 'Yngwie'. Inside the magazine was a floppy vinyl 45rpm record with one of his recordings on it.
I swear I remember playing the record and feeling sick at how fast the guy was but also thinking that was maybe the last I'd ever hear of the guy cause nobody had ever heard of him before and he didn't have an album out etc etc....
Does anybody else remember this cheap vinyl 'first' record or was I existing in some parallel universe or something?
Anybody know what the date was?

My issue's only go back to the 70s i lost a few in moving,
around.
the floppy vinyl was a 33 1\3 and yes it existed in,
april 1985 issue it was called sound page.
Thats the only sound page he had out i think.
thanks for mentioning about the old GP now i/m reading,
plus looking thro my old GP's this is a trip.
thanks
Mark

P:S Lots of good stuff in these old issue's vol's ect.
I also have one of those old green and white t shirts.
the price back in 85 was $2.50 for the mag 1981 it was only $1.50 for the mag cheaper huh.

[Edited by skee1 on 07-18-2001 at 01:54 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.