Transition guitarists! Important...

Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
07/17/2001 4:33 am
Ive already typed this once but i feel that this may help many guitarists. The move from an acoustic guitar to an electric can be a beautiful thing.(emphasis on 'can')Acoustic players are usually very unsure of the type of tone they want to look into, and unscrupulous music shop sales teams make it appear as though they can get "everything they need to get started" but thats the thing, You have already started and you do not want to go through basics again, am I right?Buying an electrical setup is very important and you should take your complete time when doing so to make sure you get your hard earned moneys worth. In some cases used equipment can be good but in others its not the best choice.For example a used ESP explorer going for $300 may look good, but say its a couple years old and the EMG's (humbuckers) need to be replaced, the owner kept it in a half step down the whole time and the intonation needs fixing.It happens all the time. Good equipment is worth any wait!

[Edited by Captain Crunch on 07-17-2001 at 01:48 AM]
# 1
Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
07/17/2001 4:47 am
There are a couple more specifics i need before i can make an accurate judgment on advising you a guitar to buy.
Price range?
Want other equipment?
What type of Classic Rock?
Future Goals on guitar?
Longevity?(how long do you want your investment to last)
What kind of guitar do you like to play on?

# 2
r_moreno7
r_moreno7
07/17/2001 5:07 am
Price range is pretty open...will be selling my house in the near future and the guitar is at the top of the list...prolly max out at $1000- including the amp

jus the amp and the guitar and maybe a mic is all and just other small stuf like stands and cases and music stands, but not sure if I will get those all at once

Classic Rock, like metallica, Aerosmith, I dunno all the good stuff

my future goal right now is to become good enough to join a band a play mainly for fun... I love to sing too

And I would like it to last a long time of course!! lol

and all I have ever played on is my 6 string Ibanez and I had a 12 string for awhile...but I don't know any other

phew!!

ty captain
# 3
Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
07/17/2001 5:24 am
For you i reccomend some sweet stuff....
First..If you dont mind double locking stuff I say go with either an ESP LTD M255 metal-style guitar or a Washburn WG-248 but if you dont like the double lock go with something like ESP's M55
I strongly reccomend the Washburn ($300) not only for the price and tone but it has a great feature where it splits the humbuckers into single coils if you want by raising the tone knob. Eventually you might want to replace the humbucks with EMGs for amazing clean tone.
Second..For an Amp I say look around until you cant look anymore. And because You didnt mention any effects processers in your budget pick an amp that has a tube(Crate Blue Voodoo or Marshall possibly).
You should be able to find a great one if you look hard enough. Im thinking of getting a Crate this year.
So what do you think about that?

[Edited by Captain Crunch on 07-17-2001 at 11:34 AM]
# 4
r_moreno7
r_moreno7
07/17/2001 5:32 am
what do I think about that?

ummm I think I need to get a glossary of guitar terms cause I have no idea what your talking about!!! *blushes
How bout if I print it out and show the sales guy lol. No really, I need to study up a bit more, and find some people that live near me to jam with, cause I'm clueless. Total immersion a coworker told me is the best way... thanks for your advice, I will definatley look into it -Robyn
# 5
Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
07/17/2001 5:36 am
Im sorry if i confused you.....
It boils down to i reccomend the Washburn WG-248 for you.
Also maybe a Marshall amp. Print my other post out and read it to a guitar friend and maybe they can help you in the future. Good Luck.
# 6
r_moreno7
r_moreno7
07/17/2001 5:43 am
Your advice is greatly appreciated..I'm just breaking into the electric scene so I don't know a whole lot yet. Your love of the guitar shines through that post, can tell you have a lot of passion....I'm hoping to get there soon. Practice practice practice I love my acoustic, but I can't wait to try out the electric. Wehay!!! thx again ;)
-Robyn
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/17/2001 6:28 pm
I hope this isn't a private conversation, but I can't help adding my two cents.

I've just finished a lengthy session of surfing http://www.guitarnuts.com, so if it seems as if all my posts refer to that site, you're right. It's a good site that is written by someone with a healthy dose of objectivity and who speaks in mostly normal English.

Anyways, the writer talked about amps. In the other thread that begat this one, Raskolnikov suggested a 50W amp. Now, generally, I don't like to disagree, especially with people who know what they're talking about. But the writer of the guitarnuts site stated a scientific fact which was that you need to multiply the wattage by 10 to increase perceived volume by 2. So, a 5W amp is only half as loud as a 50W amp.

So, the guy on this site that I keep talking about suggested to look for an amp with all the features you're looking for, and one that really sounds good. He has an Ampeg 15W tube amp which he says has great tone. Raskolnikov suggested a 50W amp, and that may be a good choice, since at that level, most come with good tone. But there are 15W tube amps with good tone out there, for a good price.

I could babble on, but most of what I'm saying is contained in the amps / gear review section of the guitarnuts site.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
r_moreno7
r_moreno7
07/17/2001 6:41 pm
nope not private, meant for all....

I will definately take alook at that site.. I have lots of research to do.... :P
thx
-Robyn
# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/17/2001 11:14 pm
Originally posted by Captain Crunch
but say its a couple years old and the EMG's (humbuckers) need to be replaced

Actually, the 9 volt battery under the pick guard is all that needs to be replaced, that's $4.50 or so for a good battery. Small taters usually delt with by any decent shop when a guitar first comes in.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
07/18/2001 1:45 am
The deterioration of the humbuckers must be in my head because the batteries are fine..I'm probably after a different tone than when i started. Do you know which ones can split into single coils dude?
IS it the 81's , the 83's or the 85's...
Thanx for your help and i look forward to working with you on the speed quiz.
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/18/2001 10:42 pm
I don't know which... any humbucker with a four conducter wire can be split though. I'm more of an EMG bass pickups/Texas Special guitar pickups man myself, I don't pay much attention to EMG's guitar lines.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.