Which Approach Do You Take?

Joseph
Joseph
06/20/2001 5:00 am
When you listen to a song, are you attracted to the type of lyrics that tell a story, or do you tend to galvanize toward the mysterious approach? Also, as a musician which approach do you tend lean towards?

The Beatles, they were the master of telling stories about the past, the future, and love. I think one of the main reasons that so many people were able to relate to this band is because with almost every word they spoke they were down to earth, where we feel like they're speaking our language. We all have these wonderful relationships in our lives, and then again we tend to get stuck in those rather tumultuous situations as well, but from listening to our favorite songs, from listening to how others have dealt with lifes problems, naturally we tend to get a better idea of how things work for us. Just one sentence from our favorite songs tends to give us a better perspective on life, which all depends on how the musician expresses himself. With todays music scene, there aren't many surprises when it comes to a lot of the songs. A lot of the topics are very safe, and it doesn't seem as if most musicians are dealing with life from all angles.

I miss a variety when it comes to songwriting, a variety in content, and it really hard to find that nowadays. Personally, its the mystery in between the lines of songs that has always inspired me, because as a musician myself, I know that it not always easy to express how you feel for the better of your compositions. But as long as you understand where you're coming from, thats all that really matters. And somewhere out there, theres always someone who speaks your language, and if you're lucky to find thast person, it opens up a whole new level of communication. Through music our communcation level can be beautiful, .

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
06/20/2001 4:14 pm
If I am listening to a song I will generally ignore the words first and just pick up on the rythm and flow of the music. I'll listen for any nice guitar fills and riffs or solos. Usually, words get too depressing to me nowadays so I tend to lean away from listening to the story and just focus on the music so I can say to my friends "Yeah, I can play that song everybody likes..."
# 2
Starman
Starman
06/29/2001 7:52 pm
I think that the story is really important however the music is just as important. It's really difficult to seperate the two. I am a great Bowie fan and without the guitar of Mick Ronson a some of the effect would be lost.
The guitar playing of Marc Bolan was nothing to write home about but the lyrics of his early songs match beautifully. What about the wildness of Black Sabbath or the simplicity of some of the great blues players.
It's an interesting thought but I'm not sure that there is an answer its a bit like the old nature/nurture discussion.
At the end of the day it's what does it for you!
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/29/2001 10:03 pm
I've spent so many years purposely tuning out the vocalist that I rarely hear the lyrics anymore. I'll only pay attention to em if they're really profound or add significantly to the song, otherwise most times I'd rather not know. The music speaks for itself on a really well written song and the lyrics tend to put a permanent stamp over top of it that may or may not match what I visualize when I hear it. There's nuthin worse than really liking a song only to have it ruined by 'I love you baby' or 'We're the Gods of the mountains" lyrics.
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
06/30/2001 1:33 am
Originally posted by MajinMojo
Usually, words get too depressing to me nowadays so I tend to lean away from listening to the story and just focus on the music so I can say to my friends "Yeah, I can play that song everybody likes..."

I wish that more artists today would get more involved with themselves and how they feel, basically the type of message they want to get across to the world, and not only through lyrics. But still, Ive noticed that lately a lot of musicians have taken a rather obvious approach, where they are afraid to give their audience the chance to think for themselves. Afraid that they might missinterpret how they feel. But still, its that mystery in between the lines thats creates excitement for the listener. Then again, perhaps I'm the only one who studied for extra credit in highschool, :rolleyes:. Radiohead's last two records haven't exactly been the most radio friendly albums or the most guitar oriented, but they have done a great job in expressing their personallity, against all costs...

Originally posted by Starman I think that the story is really important however the music is just as important.

I agree a good story is always very pleasant to the ears, especially in someone elses words, but still, I really enjoy when songs come off a bit abstract. Sure at the end of the day, it depends on what type of mood you're in, but what really matters it what inspires you for the most part. But I like to dissect different songs, a way of collecting the various different meanings and how they relate to each other.

Originally posted by schmange I've spent so many years purposely tuning out the vocalist that I rarely hear the lyrics anymore. I'll only pay attention to em if they're really profound or add significantly to the song, otherwise most times I'd rather not know. The music speaks for itself on a really well written song and the lyrics tend to put a permanent stamp over top of it that may or may not match what I visualize when I hear it. There's nuthin worse than really liking a song only to have it ruined by 'I love you baby' or 'We're the Gods of the mountains" lyrics.

Exactly, its really frustrating when you hear some of the new bands today who obviously have potentional in arranging melodies, but they havent got the slightest clue as to what they want to say verbally. I think for any good musician, he should put just as much time into his lyrics as he does with the music. Because both go well in hand, and I really hate to see good compositions ruined due to impatience.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.