Looking for things in your playing that doesn't sound like anyone else...

Joseph
Joseph
06/12/2001 10:03 pm
As a guitarist we're always trying new things, but the best guitarists from the past and future are those who refuse to follow conventions and who have trhe courage to be themselves. Are there certain new techniques that you have added to your style over the past few weeks etc that has made your overall creatrive process more interesting? A good way to stand on your own from the rest...

There are more than a handful of guitarists today who choose to travel down the safe road, instead of experimenting with their abilities for all its worth. Whether or not they sound like someone else (well, thats probably the last thing on most musicians minds), because if they can get away with it they will. We're not always prepared to hear something different, something totally outragious, but thats when those moments of creativity begin. Personally, as a musician, the second my material sounds too familiar with something from the past, I usually tend to start over. Although others probably wouldn't notice, and I could probably get away with it, its just something that I refuse to go along with. Rage Against The Machine, one thing that astands out wuth this nbands music is originality. Whether or not you appreciate what they have to offer you can't deny that these guys created their own rules. Now I can only imagine what the remaining members of this band and Chris Cornell are up to, it should be most interesting...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
06/13/2001 2:47 am
Originally posted by PonyOne
Lately, I've been playing a lot of surf/rockabilly style guitar with my band.

Try it.

Hey, I'll try anything once. Country Western music something that I always strayed from for the most part. But theres more to this music than meets the eye, or the ear for that matter, (especially when you add certain elements to your own technique.) But as the topic stands, its almost impossible to sound totally unlike any other musician on this planet, but still we try, and at certain portions of the day, we do succeed in more ways than one. What drives me to play guitar is my naural instincts, if I can just sit back and the end of the day & write something totally unlike anything Ive heard before, then I'm a happy camper. But its not easy. So yeah its great to experiment with different effects and different sounds, whatever it takes foir you to achieve the perfect sound.

Ive been looking the right people (down here in South florida) to collaborate with for quite sometime. Nothing too fancy, just a few people who are open minded and have enough patience. Although, I grew up in Massachucettes, and I'm thinking of going back...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Fly Boy
Fly Boy
06/13/2001 11:14 pm
Since staring playing I have re-created my plaing several times originally thrash metal then to malmsteen type classical rock to classical to blues and back to classical.

Trough out all these changes I have kept my ear out for certain elements in each genre that I like, but never had the confidence to compose my own pieces. But most recently I've found myself swapping between blues and kind of celtic/folk and using a DAGDAD tuning I;ve found my self mixing the two genres together which i'm sure may sound quite bizzarre I think it is quite interesting and will persist in trying be creative by using knowledge from my past and things that i will learn in future.

we can all FLY
# 3
stratman42
stratman42
06/15/2001 6:57 pm
I also love a change from the norm.

Or band are mainly heavy metal, and as a rule we stick to that, and all our songs are MAINLY just that. However, we love to do all kinds of wierd stuff within songs and especially in intros, dipping into psychedelia and space rock, and even using rain-makers. Acoustic parts also crop up at random when we're writing. We love to re-write classical stuff and throw in diverse musical styles such as samba and latino.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.