80's Metal Gods....

raymond james
raymond james
06/02/2001 6:14 am
I haven't listened to hair bands in a long time. Then on the spur of the moment kind of thing I threw in a cassette of Whitesnakes-"slide it in". Before I knew it I was digging out all my 80's stuff and shaking off the dust. As I listened I began to ponder.
I am a blues player but grew up with hero's like Jake E Lee and Warren DeMartini, along with my blues mentors. My question is...Do you think that blues players reared in the 80's metal scene come across too aggressive in their soloing compared to players previous to the metal wars?

Long live techinque, practice, style and taste.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/02/2001 9:13 am
I live in Canada, and whatever part of the country I travel to, the Blues scene coukd be described as "a bunch of white guys, playing black music, on Japanese instruments".

Whatever, the Blues is a feeling, one that finds musical expression... and it ain't all gloom'n'doom.

So I think the answer to your question about metal guitarists being able to play the Blues, is YES. Practice gives you the vocabulary to enable you to say whatever it is that you want to say... if other people try to pigeon-hole you as a 'metal guitarist' [u]only[/u], they aren't really your fans. They only want to hear what they want to hear.

Just about every heavy album from the eighties has at least one slow, 'soulful' track on it, almost as if the bands felt a need to prove that they are 'legitimate' musicians.

I think Rainbow would qualify as an 80's metal band. Check out "The Temple of The King". It ain't Blues, but it do have soul. We can't all be SRV, but none of us can only play one kind of music.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
06/02/2001 7:36 pm
I'm one of those who started out listening the 70's heros, Richie Blackmore, Hendrix, Angus young, Tommi Iommi etc etc etc.

I don't think that many who came out in the 80's were all that special, a lot of rock/metal bands who came out such as Europe, bon jovi, cinderella, skid row etc etc, sold out to the pop sell's nonsence. In that I mean more on saleability than playing from the heart, where music should come from.

Saying that the likes of Vai and satriana sure can play, and I must confess as to liking Limp Bizkit, wes plays extremley balls'y. Recently the guitar is on its way back.

Then again their loaded with cash and I'm not.
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/02/2001 8:11 pm
How can you be too agressive if you're playing what's on your mind? That's how I see it. I mean, most people can tell the difference between someone playing an honestly aggressive solo and some guy wanking off at his highest possible speed. The thing is both have their place, so it really comes down to doing what's right for the song.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
space ace
space ace
06/02/2001 8:37 pm
All I can say is Rob "****in" Halford. Name one singer who can sing as good as him and I'll do anything.
Lane Hunter
# 5
loner92
loner92
06/03/2001 5:29 am
Originally posted by space ace
All I can say is Rob "****in" Halford. Name one singer who can sing as good as him and I'll do anything.

I'll name 2: Matthew Barlow (Iced Earth) and Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian).

# 6
space ace
space ace
06/04/2001 8:28 pm
If they are so much better than Halford than how come they are not half as famous as Priest and how come they never will be. Blind Guardian have been around for a while and they have done nothing for music yet....and never will.
Lane Hunter
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.