Heya, new member here.

Criblo
Criblo
02/07/2005 4:48 pm
I'm Ben I'm 21, and a student in New Mexico. Two days ago I bought a guitar, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while, so I went out and purchased one on a whim. I was afraid to even pick it up when the store owner handed it to me, since I've never even touched a musical instrument in my life. Well I walked home with it, put it in my lap, and was still intimidated by it. Two days later I am starting to understand little things. I FINALLY got it tuned.

Well I'm probably going to be a pain in the ass in these forums because I'm full of even the most basic of questions, because right now it's a whole other language to me.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2005 5:05 pm
Hey welcome dude !

If you go to the GT home page (click the pick in the top left hand corner) and look for the tab that says Beginners and you will find lots of useful stuff. How to play chords, beginning chord progressions, how to change strings etc.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Criblo
Criblo
02/07/2005 5:13 pm
Sweet, that's the kind of stuff I need. Disregard the questions I asked in the beginners forum.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2005 5:39 pm
Aaa too late !

Enjoy anyway !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
paradyme
paradyme
02/07/2005 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: CribloI'm Ben I'm 21, and a student in New Mexico. Two days ago I bought a guitar, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while, so I went out and purchased one on a whim. I was afraid to even pick it up when the store owner handed it to me, since I've never even touched a musical instrument in my life. Well I walked home with it, put it in my lap, and was still intimidated by it. Two days later I am starting to understand little things. I FINALLY got it tuned.

Well I'm probably going to be a pain in the ass in these forums because I'm full of even the most basic of questions, because right now it's a whole other language to me.

Right on man! Welcome aboard- that guitar will be your best friend in no time man! No worries about being a pain in the ass either- the whole thing about being a musician is the give and take, whether you're on stage and you're jamming, or whether you're talking with other musicians- always good to share, so I know I'm not just speaking for myself here when I say ask what you need to know- don't worry if it makes you sound like less than an expert- hell I'm nowhere close to being an expert and I've been doing my thing for going on... 17 years... damn I'm old. heh anyway, whatever ya need, ask it and don't worry about being a pain- it's good to see someone else picking it up .

peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 5
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/08/2005 2:32 am
Welcome to the boards!! Just remember no matter how frustrating it gets, or how mad you get at your guitar, it will get better. Stick with it and don't give up!!
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 6
yacoolman
yacoolman
02/08/2005 8:31 pm
Originally Posted by: CribloI'm Ben I'm 21, and a student in New Mexico. Two days ago I bought a guitar, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while, so I went out and purchased one on a whim. I was afraid to even pick it up when the store owner handed it to me, since I've never even touched a musical instrument in my life. Well I walked home with it, put it in my lap, and was still intimidated by it. Two days later I am starting to understand little things. I FINALLY got it tuned.

hey man im also a beginer, ill tell ya something ur in for alot of pain and fustarting, but dont let that get to you, just remember the best thing u can do when u practise, is RELAX AND TAKE IT SLOW!!! no matter what, u can ask anyone its the best advise anyone can give, if u wanna chat more my email is [email]yacoolman_2004@hotmail.com[/email] thankz pease out
# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/12/2005 5:00 pm
Everyone is always learning something.
Well, obviously, learning to adapt some piano song on the guitar isn't the same as what you're going through now, but everyone is always learning stuff. From the greenest of beginners to the_____(what's the opposite of green?) of sages.
Just ask any of the 50 something year young dudes and dudesses around here.
Lordathestrings, had he not fallen down the stairs one time too many during his childhood, could tell you the history of rock adn roll fro memory. But don't count on it. when he bought his first guitar c.a. '67 or '68, my mom was not yet 20.
His new best friend, Ake, is 60 something. When someone says they've been playing for twice your age, you feel inclined to listen. Although again, for the five years I been playing, I don't feel like I know jack. Although again, the jack that I don't know convinces me I'm good enough to start doing solo one-man-acoustic-rock gigs in Nairobi. I'm shopping.
Even some of the young people around here started playing pretty young, but are still learning.

Bottom line is, if you're jogging on a circular track, after a while, you can never tell who is on their 5th or 11th lap. Everyone's jogging.
Play that thing and have fun.
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/12/2005 5:38 pm
Just take it slow n' easy...you'll build dexterity,accuracy and knowlege about the guitar in short time.Practice regularly and keep determined.

You will find the guitar to be a satisfying instrument :)
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
ake
ake
02/13/2005 9:31 pm
que pasa mano, I'm also here in the land of enchantment. Also pretty new to cyberspace and real new to GT. Seems like the folks on the board here know about any thing you need to know about guitars and music in general.
Welcome!!

Guitars save lives!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.