Pick sound dragging the strings

pine2
pine2
03/23/2022 7:47 pm

Hi, I'm learning to play 8th note chords with a pick, and it involves downstrokes as well as upstrokes. What seems to be happening is that I need to loosen my "grip" on the pick a bit when stroking up&down, in order to control the volume and also to make the volume of all strings more equal on the upstroke: For example not to have a louder high E string on upstrokes.

Now together with the lower volume from the guitar, I can also hear the pick plastic rubbing the strings and was wondering am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do about it, or is it just the nature of playing guitar more silently?

I cannot hear the pick dragging on the strings when I'm just downstroking with a firmer grip on the pick.

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/24/2022 2:42 am

Finding the right pick for anyone is based largely on personal preferences. However, using a very thin flexible pick less than about .60 mm will result in some degree of snapping off and slapping onto strings, thereby increasing string noise. If that's the case for you, then I'd suggest trying a thicker pick (e.g. 0.73, 0.88) on acoustic and even thicker on electric. String noise from picks is always there, however faint it may be. I think most people eventually tune out these noises, voluntarily or involuntarily. But the softer you play, the more noise you create with your pick relative to the overall sound.

Tonal differences in upstrokes and downstrokes (both picking and strumming) are typically seen as desirable, as they results in a more interesting overall sound. Grasping the pick too loosely will definitely increase string noise. You need to find a pick that you can grasp firmly all the time. I suggest purchasing a guitar pick variety pack to find a pick that suits you.

As far as different strings ringing out disproportionately, that's most likely related to your guitar. Some guitars are intentionally manufactured to emphasize one or more of the tonal zones - bass, middle, treble, rather than being equally balanced across all 6 strings. Many inexpensive guitars are just not structurally capable of a balanced sound.

Nicolai

# 2
pine2
pine2
03/24/2022 6:05 am

Cheers Nikolai,

[br]Current using .73 - it feels comfortable for me, but I'll try out picks of different shape and thickness.

Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus As far as different strings ringing out disproportionately, that's most likely related to your guitar.
[br][br]

No, that's related to my beginner level, incomplete technique :) as I need to compensate it by playing more softly.

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/24/2022 6:37 am
Originally Posted by: pine2

Current using .73 - it feels comfortable for me, but I'll try out picks of different shape and thickness.

[/quote]

Check out different materials as well (e.g tortex, nylon) and different gripping surfaces. Some picks, like the Dunlop nylon FLOW picks have a textured grip that makes it much easier to hand on to.

[quote=pine2]

No, that's related to my beginner level, incomplete technique :) as I need to compensate it by playing more softly.

Strum all 6 strings at the same time with equal force. If you can make out all 6 strings ringing then you have a balance guitar. If certain of the strings drown out other strings... that's the guitar, not you.

Nicolai

# 4
pine2
pine2
03/24/2022 7:43 am
Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Check out different materials as well (e.g tortex, nylon) and different gripping surfaces. Some picks, like the Dunlop nylon FLOW picks have a textured grip that makes it much easier to hand on to. [/quote]

Cheers, I'll try some.

[quote=aliasmaximus]Strum all 6 strings at the same time with equal force. If you can make out all 6 strings ringing then you have a balance guitar. If certain of the strings drown out other strings... that's the guitar, not you.

Very balanced sound, and cannot even see the relation to the sound the pick plastic is making "dragging" the strings.

# 5
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/24/2022 7:59 am
Originally Posted by: pine2

....in order to control the volume and also to make the volume of all strings more equal on the upstroke: For example not to have a louder high E string on upstrokes.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying here.

What are you doing up? It's 4:00 am here. You must be in Europe somewhere, no?

# 6
pine2
pine2
03/24/2022 8:13 am
Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying here.

What are you doing up? It's 4:00 am here. You must be in Europe somewhere, no?

Finland, 10 am. And what are u doing up at 4 am...?

Prolly misunderstood - I'm just trying to achieve a lower volume - no matter what the reason is - and at that point, the pick plastic sound comes into play. What I suspect is that I need to control the volume by not loosening my grip on the pick, but instead still grabbing the pick firmly and lowering volume by just distancing the pick from the strings and playing with just the tip of the pick.

# 7
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/24/2022 8:41 am

Yup, using a firmer grip on the pick will definitely help a lot when playing softly.

Finland. I just got done looking at some epidemiological maps. One of them mapped the general "happiness" of people living in different countries. Of the 197 U.N. recognized countries in the world Finland is the happiest place on earth (ranked #1). You lucky dog ;)

My sleep schedule is currently askew so I'm up nights quite a bit.

# 8
pine2
pine2
03/24/2022 10:00 am

Cheers, the place is happy, but are the ppl? But yeah, low crime, clean air, good public healthcare and other services etc. High taxes. And the climate could be a bit warmer...

# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/24/2022 2:48 pm
Originally Posted by: pine2What seems to be happening is that I need to loosen my "grip" on the pick a bit when stroking up&down, in order to control the volume and also to make the volume of all strings more equal on the upstroke: For example not to have a louder high E string on upstrokes.[/quote]

A relaxed grip will definitely help. Also, make sure the pick is tilted slightly in the direction of the strum so the pick glides across the top of the strings. That will lead to the next objective: do not dig in too far. You only want the tip of the pick to graze over the top of the strings. The more it dips below the plane of the strings then more chance it's going to get caught, hung up, making uneven sounds & unwanted scrapping noises. This also makes it harder to play smoothly & efficiently.

[quote=pine2]Is there anything I can do about it, or is it just the nature of playing guitar more silently?

You could try a string dampener, or fret wrap as they are often called these days. You'll see many YT people using them these days. You can place them near the nut.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Guitar-Fret-Strings-Mute-Noise-Damper-Muter-Wraps-Guitar-Beam-Tape-For-Guitars-Bass-Ukulele-String-Instruments/914639098

There is also a kind for placement near the bridge.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32995670640.html

You can probably achieve the same result with a piece of cloth or fabric wrapped around the strings in either location. It might be worth experimenting with before buying anything.

However, the primary objective here is to just play lighter. Use a lighter, more relaxed touch overall. This is something you should aim to do as a matter of standard technique anyway. But playing even lighter will help achieve a quieter sound.

However, in the end playing guitar does create some sound. That is the nature of the endeavor. :)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 10
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
03/24/2022 2:54 pm

Softer picking has been a real eye opener for me. At lower volume picking, I find a lot of tonal varriation in the voice of the instrument, from muted to fully strummed strings. The sound of harmonics are also easier to use, since they can ring out cleraly, when the sound of the notes around it is quieter. In other words... Keep working on that soft picking. It will serve you well in the long run.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 11
pine2
pine2
03/25/2022 12:57 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegelAlso, make sure the pick is tilted slightly in the direction of the strum so the pick glides across the top of the strings.

To my understanding, tilting the pick would be done from the wrist? That technique would be quite challenging when up&downstroking 8th notes...

# 12
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2022 1:56 pm
Originally Posted by: pine2To my understanding, tilting the pick would be done from the wrist? That technique would be quite challenging when up&downstroking 8th notes...

Yes, it requires slightly rotating your wrist in between down & up strums. Not a lot, it's a very subtle motion, but it definitely helps. It's all part of staying loose & relaxed.

I explain in this video on picking hand mechanics.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12189&s_id=605

Anders covers it here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=28844&s_id=2443

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.