Struggling w/ alternative chord voicing w/o buzz

bouncee
bouncee
10/24/2020 1:22 am

Trying to learn alternative chord vocing. And I find this so challenging. I can't remember that I struggled so hard learning my chords or barre chords. This time it almost feels my fingers are too short, and my fingers too stiff. I know, it is just my feelings. And plenty great guitar players with small fingers. But what can I do to get more progress and become better?

Any time I need to use my thumb over the sixth string placing that thumb creates unwanted string noises elsewhere.

Other chords like any G shaped chords as in CAGED is impossible due to the fret gap for the pointer finger, and I get discuraged and stop CAGED practice.

I've tried to play around with various angels, twisting my hand but still no victory. I do finger stretching excersice every morning and evening and after each time I play.

It has gotten to the point where I feel I should just stop this madness and accept this failure and look for alternatives. I'm thinking maybe I could just play the top three strings or possible strings 1 to 4 for alternative chord voicing and be done with it? And use fifth or sixth string barre chords if I need a full chord.

But that also means I will loose the cool "jazzy" chords, the six, nine and thirteen. Maybe others that have struggled with the same thing has some clever tips or tricks to get any chord sounding clean? As it is I don't even bother to practice quick shifts of coplicated chords because of the horrible sound I always get.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/24/2020 3:04 am
Originally Posted by: bouncee

Trying to learn alternative chord vocing. And I find this so challenging. I can't remember that I struggled so hard learning my chords or barre chords. This time it almost feels my fingers are too short, and my fingers too stiff. I know, it is just my feelings. And plenty great guitar players with small fingers. But what can I do to get more progress and become better?[/quote][p]Which chord voicings specifically are you having trouble with?

Originally Posted by: bounceeAny time I need to use my thumb over the sixth string placing that thumb creates unwanted string noises elsewhere.[/quote]

Which voicing?

Other chords like any G shaped chords as in CAGED is impossible due to the fret gap for the pointer finger, and I get discuraged and stop CAGED practice.

[p]Many of those full CAGED shapes are impractical & very rarely used anyway. I think you can get more milage from them if you view them as visual references & play the triads & inversions inside the larger shapes.

Like this sort of thing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=733

You actually mention this later in your post!

[quote=bouncee][br]I'm thinking maybe I could just play the top three strings or possible strings 1 to 4 for alternative chord voicing and be done with it? And use fifth or sixth string barre chords if I need a full chord.

Exactly.

[quote=bouncee]

But that also means I will loose the cool "jazzy" chords, the six, nine and thirteen. Maybe others that have struggled with the same thing has some clever tips or tricks to get any chord sounding clean?

Not necessarily. Often jazz players use shell voicings. There are plenty of ways to play jazzy chords using fewer notes. Check out these tutorials!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2595

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2605

Hope this helps. Please let me know about those other chord voicings when you are able!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
bouncee
bouncee
10/24/2020 6:57 am

Quick Reply before my morning run in pooring rain.

So maybe actually giving up on the hardest ones are not a failure but the smart move to make, avoiding tendinitis or broken spirit as well?

I will take at look at those lessons when the work out is over. I can get one track minded and hung up on the little things, not only practicing guitar, and if I first get locked into that laser focus, I forget to stop up to rethink if it is worth the time and effort.

# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/24/2020 9:33 am

Christopher

that link for lesson 733 took me to the Home pagother 2 links worked fine.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/24/2020 1:24 pm

So maybe actually giving up on the hardest ones are not a failure but the smart move to make, avoiding tendinitis or broken spirit as well?

[p]It depends. What chord voicings are you referring to?

But in general, yes. Work on practical things & that you can use & will make learning & playing enjoyable.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/24/2020 1:24 pm
Originally Posted by: ddiddler

Christopher

that link for lesson 733 took me to the Home pagother 2 links worked fine.

Oops! Fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.