Help with techniques with chord change

casper27292
casper27292
08/06/2019 4:39 pm

I watched a video to where you DROP your fingers on the chords, and I have been trying since yesterday and i can not position my fingers for the chords before i switch and then drop them, anyone have any techniques they can share that helped them? or is it just something that comes with playing a while. right now my fingers are so sore it's not funny, but i continue to keep trying.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."

[br]"Jimi Hendrix"

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
08/06/2019 9:14 pm

Hi casper27292

"DROP" isn't quite the technique taught, inferring it might prove beneficial to watch that lesson again?

Having done that, realise the process of acquiring the necessary motor skills is a gradual one. It will take time and conscientious repetition with cognizant application applied to that process.

In KISS terms, yes it "comes with playing a while" -with application. Acquiring the necessary skill to play scales or fretting chords until the process becomes subliminal is predominantly a hands on learn by rote process.

Keep at it. It's not a 5 or 15 minute exercise, done, then move on and its suddenly as autonomic as breathing.

Sore fingers. That symptom will disappear soon enough. Until you build calluses and it does, don't overdo things to the point of aggravation in your initial excitement. A tip which worked for me. Apply raw apple cider vinegar after playing. It sooths, heals and accelerates initial skin toughening of the fingertips IME.

# 2
marryjoy6374
marryjoy6374
01/08/2024 9:20 am

Here are some tips to help you with chord transitions: 

1. Take it Slow: heardle

• Start by practicing the chord changes very slowly. Focus on accuracy and proper finger placement rather than speed.

2. Isolate Troublesome Changes:

• Identify specific chord changes that are challenging for you. Isolate those transitions and practice them individually before incorporating them into a larger progression.

3. Use a Metronome:

• Set a metronome to a slow tempo and practice changing chords in time with the clicks. Gradually increase the speed as you become more comfortable.

# 3
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
01/08/2024 4:33 pm

I agree with the metronome and going slowly!

First, go as slow as you need to. Determine how fast you can cleanly change between two chords. 20 times a minute? 30 times? Set a metronome to that. Right now, you're not playing to the metronome. The metronome is playing to you. Practice this until you're really comfortable at this pace.

Eventually, bump the metronome up slightly. If you are comfortable with one change every two seconds (30 bpm), bump it up to 35. Work at this level until you can cleanly switch between two chords at this slightly accelerated pace. Take your time and drop back back to a slower level if you need to.

Rinse and repeat. It takes time. Two mantras:

1. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

2. Perfect practice makes perfect.

If you play slowly but accurately and cleanly, you'll develop excellent technique. And excellent technique yields speed.

And don't practice so fast that you're sloppy. You're building muscle memory. Every time you change chords, you're training your nerves and muscles. If you train them sloppily, you'll play sloppily. And if you train them cleanly, you'll play cleanly.

Lastly, know when to quit. Your body actually needs you to stop and give it 24 hours to build the nerve connections to play what it's learned. Practice some, stop, and come back to it tomorrow. 

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/08/2024 7:47 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: Diamond_Dave

I agree with the metronome and going slowly!

First, go as slow as you need to. Determine how fast you can cleanly change between two chords. 20 times a minute? 30 times? Set a metronome to that. Right now, you're not playing to the metronome. The metronome is playing to you. Practice this until you're really comfortable at this pace.

Eventually, bump the metronome up slightly. If you are comfortable with one change every two seconds (30 bpm), bump it up to 35. Work at this level until you can cleanly switch between two chords at this slightly accelerated pace. Take your time and drop back back to a slower level if you need to.

Rinse and repeat. It takes time. Two mantras:

1. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

2. Perfect practice makes perfect.

If you play slowly but accurately and cleanly, you'll develop excellent technique. And excellent technique yields speed.

And don't practice so fast that you're sloppy. You're building muscle memory. Every time you change chords, you're training your nerves and muscles. If you train them sloppily, you'll play sloppily. And if you train them cleanly, you'll play cleanly.

Lastly, know when to quit. Your body actually needs you to stop and give it 24 hours to build the nerve connections to play what it's learned. Practice some, stop, and come back to it tomorrow. 

I can pretty much guarantee you responded to a bot. Unfortunately the forum is saturated by them. Usually you can tell because the posting will be a to an old thread such as this one by a registered user. I ignore anything from a registered user for this reason. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
01/08/2024 9:52 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: William MG

I can pretty much guarantee you responded to a bot. Unfortunately the forum is saturated by them. Usually you can tell because the posting will be a to an old thread such as this one by a registered user. I ignore anything from a registered user for this reason. 

Dude...good call. Thanks. I'll be on the lookout.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.