Soft Attack and Hard Attack

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
02/10/2019 6:58 pm

Hi, guys. Hope all is well and in good health!

So I’ve recently started Thrill Is Gone by B. B. King Lesson, instructed by Anders Mouridsen (which I tremendously respect and admire, just as with all the amazing instructors here :) ) when he mentions this: “Turn the amp up loud and use the soft attack and you'll be good to go!” in lesson 3/12.

My question is simple: what’s a soft attack? Is it in the pick or the amp? Are there other types of attacks?

Thank you, in advance. :)

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/10/2019 8:32 pm

Given that he's referencing B.B. King, and specifically playing "The Thrill is Gone" you can be certain he 's referring to the less aggressive picking technique of "soft attack". That's why he's said "turn your amp up loud" to compensate.

In note picking soft attack is a less aggressive striking of the string which is coincidentially more precise which diminishes the volume and affects the initial onset and development of sound. The rate at which the note develops, and its timbre.

Unsuprisingly, soft attack is the polar opposite of .....hard attack.

Personally, I prefer nylon plectrums when I'm seeking soft attack. Cheers.

# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
02/11/2019 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Given that he's referencing B.B. King, and specifically playing "The Thrill is Gone" you can be certain he 's referring to the less aggressive picking technique of "soft attack". That's why he's said "turn your amp up loud" to compensate.

In note picking soft attack is a less aggressive striking of the string which is coincidentially more precise which diminishes the volume and affects the initial onset and development of sound. The rate at which the note develops, and its timbre.

Unsuprisingly, soft attack is the polar opposite of .....hard attack.

Personally, I prefer nylon plectrums when I'm seeking soft attack. Cheers.

ManXcat,

Thank you so much for this simple yet clear explantion. Guess B.B. King had a nice soft attack. I should soften mine as well LOL.

[br]Thank you, my friend. I appreciate it.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/11/2019 8:16 pm

Glad it helped, and was of use to you.

Bit of pertinent (?) trivia. If size and colour was any indication, it looked like Mr King was using a regular nylon Jazz III in that vid. He sure had a magic touch.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.