Muting strings when playing melodies

kakamena
Full Access
kakamena
Full Access
10/29/2018 1:25 am

So I've been working through Guitar Fundamentals 1 and I am at the point where I have learned to play melodies on few of the strings. But when playing melodies such as the one I was practicing "Hes a pirate" from Pirates of the Carribean, I noticed that I was muting some bottom strings. Is it okay to mute strings when single note picking or playing melodies or will that haunt me in the future? When trying to play some notes fast, I stop at a point and I notice that my ring finger or my other fingers will mute lower strings.

When I am playing chords for example G major chord or C major chord I do not have string muting problem as much as I do when playing single notes fast. I am not sure if this is a big concern, to tackle this problem I stop at some point when playing single notes and try to get my fingur to not mute. If there are any tips or if this will haunt me in the future please let me know.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/29/2018 6:13 pm

Hi kakamena,

I think it's okay if you mute strings that aren't being played, that is fine. If you don't need them, you might as well mute them so they won't accidently be struck causing the sound to be thrown off.

But if you're saying that you're muting strings when you're trying to play notes on that string, then you'll have to find a way to adjust your hand so that you hit the note and it rings out the way you want it to.

You might want to take a look at this lesson on right hand control: https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1693

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.