plucking unwanted strings when bending help

Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
04/18/2018 10:12 pm

Recently I started teaching myself how to bend strings since I am a new beginner to guitar in general. I started learning Shine on You Crazy Diamond part 2-3 by Pink Floyd to help develop bending and solo-ing techniques.

One issue I have been running into is when I bend a string, let's say for example the third string, and I need to bend it up a whole step or maybe a whole and a half step, I'll use my three fingers to push the third string up into the fourth string and even into the fifth string to achieve the correct tone. At this point, I'll have the third, fourth, and fifth string across my fingers. When I go to release the bend, sometimes the 4th and fith strings will either get caught on the caluses on my fingers and get unwantingly plucked, or they will ring out on their own if I have to release the bend quickly.

Are there any tips, suggestions, or videos for this? Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/18/2018 11:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Deanhorneck

When I go to release the bend, sometimes the 4th and fith strings will either get caught on the caluses on my fingers and get unwantingly plucked, or they will ring out on their own if I have to release the bend quickly.

You need to refine your muting technique!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2281

That tutorial covers basic muting techniques for a variety of techniques. I think the intermediate lessons will give you a couple of close up looks at how to use both your fretting and picking hand to mute.

When you bend you need to make sure the lower strings are stopped from ringing by your picking hand palm. And it can also help to remove your index finger of your fretting hand & place it on the lower strings when you start to release the bend.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
04/19/2018 1:34 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel[quote=Deanhorneck]

You need to refine your muting technique!

Thank you! This was very helpful, I would have never thought to try and mute the strings. I'll take a look at these videos

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.