Tuning half step up

markhudd
Full Access
markhudd
Full Access
12/11/2017 6:21 pm

Hello, can someone help me in tuning a half step up from standard tuning? I have a Snark tuner but I'm confused as to how to do it properly. Thanks.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/11/2017 6:36 pm
Originally Posted by: markhudd

Hello, can someone help me in tuning a half step up from standard tuning? I have a Snark tuner but I'm confused as to how to do it properly. Thanks.

I'm assuming your Snark tuner can tune chromatically. If so, then you can tune each string to a note one-half step higher than standard tuning.

E up to F

A up to A-sharp or B-flat

D up to D-sharp or E-flat

G up to G-sharp or A-flat

B up to C

E up to F

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
sue_mills03
sue_mills03
12/12/2017 12:25 pm

In talking with a number of acoustic guitarists, half step up tuning has been discussed. As a new player, I'm curious what the reason is for tuning a half step up?

Thanks!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/12/2017 2:24 pm
Originally Posted by: sue_mills03

In talking with a number of acoustic guitarists, half step up tuning has been discussed. As a new player, I'm curious what the reason is for tuning a half step up?

Thanks!

I don't play acoustic guitar, so someone else might be able to give you more insight. Having said that, I can't think of a good reason to do this. But I can think of a few bad reasons.

1. Too much tension on the neck, straining the guitar neck, bridge & bracing. Could lead to damaging the guitar.

2. Too difficult to play strings strung & tuned that tightly.

3. Easier to just use a capo on the first fret if you just want to play a half-step higher.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
markhudd
Full Access
markhudd
Full Access
12/18/2017 12:56 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: sue_mills03

Thanks!

I don't play acoustic guitar, so someone else might be able to give you more insight. Having said that, I can't think of a good reason to do this. But I can think of a few bad reasons.

1. Too much tension on the neck, straining the guitar neck, bridge & bracing. Could lead to damaging the guitar.

2. Too difficult to play strings strung & tuned that tightly.

3. Easier to just use a capo on the first fret if you just want to play a half-step higher.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Christopher, I'll take your advice and avoid the tuning up on my acoustic. I was trying to practice some Boston, "Hitch A Ride". I'll wait for my Gibson SG instead. Thanks again.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/18/2017 1:35 pm
Originally Posted by: markhuddThanks Christopher, I'll take your advice and avoid the tuning up on my acoustic. I was trying to practice some Boston, "Hitch A Ride". I'll wait for my Gibson SG instead. Thanks again.

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
sue_mills03
sue_mills03
12/20/2017 12:27 am

Thank you Christopher! I will stick with normal or standard tuning!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.