Where to go with acoustic?

ajustinbryant
ajustinbryant
02/23/2016 7:32 pm
I have a question about where to go after the fundamentals. I'm running into the fact that a lot of the blues, country, and rock lessons are electric-based and not the best fit for what I want to play (or can play on my guitar). I have new thoughts of picking up electric, but until then I'm trying to figure out where to go: Best to go through the blues, country, rock lessons looking for relevant lessons, or just start with the acoustic series? Any thoughts or ideas?

My main interests are folk, and folk-rock, like 60s-70s accoustic Dylan and Neal Young, that sort of stuff. Plus acoustic country like Willie Nelson. I'd like to learn finger-picking but also just fancify my chord transitions.

Thanks!
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
02/24/2016 8:43 pm
Originally Posted by: ajustinbryantI have a question about where to go after the fundamentals. I'm running into the fact that a lot of the blues, country, and rock lessons are electric-based and not the best fit for what I want to play (or can play on my guitar). I have new thoughts of picking up electric, but until then I'm trying to figure out where to go: Best to go through the blues, country, rock lessons looking for relevant lessons, or just start with the acoustic series? Any thoughts or ideas?

My main interests are folk, and folk-rock, like 60s-70s accoustic Dylan and Neal Young, that sort of stuff. Plus acoustic country like Willie Nelson. I'd like to learn finger-picking but also just fancify my chord transitions.

Thanks!

Have you checked out the acoustic style section? Here's the link: https://www.guitartricks.com/style.php?input=acoustic

Otherwise, I'd say plod along with the lessons in the blues/rock/country courses (depending on which one interests you) regardless of whether it focuses on electric or acoustic.

Oh, and go to YouTube and checkout Monte Montgomery for some acoustic inspiration.

Hope this helps!
# 2
ajustinbryant
ajustinbryant
02/25/2016 7:02 am
Originally Posted by: GT StaffHave you checked out the acoustic style section? Here's the link: https://www.guitartricks.com/style.php?input=acoustic

Otherwise, I'd say plod along with the lessons in the blues/rock/country courses (depending on which one interests you) regardless of whether it focuses on electric or acoustic.

Oh, and go to YouTube and checkout Monte Montgomery for some acoustic inspiration.

Hope this helps!

Thanks - I originally thought the acoustic section was too advanced but looking over it again I think there's a lot I can work on there. And I'll go ahead and work on the country and blues stuff as best I can. And thank you for the tip about Monte Montgomery - I didn't know about him. That's some amazing playing.
# 3
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
02/25/2016 6:24 pm
Originally Posted by: ajustinbryantThanks - I originally thought the acoustic section was too advanced but looking over it again I think there's a lot I can work on there. And I'll go ahead and work on the country and blues stuff as best I can. And thank you for the tip about Monte Montgomery - I didn't know about him. That's some amazing playing.

Sure thing! Give me a shout if you need anything else. Always happy to help.
# 4
seattle2
seattle2
05/04/2016 12:48 am
I also found the finger picking section helpful with playing oldies folk styles. Also there's a section for acoustic basics that was super helpful with playing folk styles.

Best of luck!
Teresa Anderson
Singer/Songwriter/Performer
www.sonicbids.com/teresamae
www.teresamaemusic.wordpress.com
# 5
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/04/2016 3:46 pm
Glad to hear you are enjoying our finger picking lessons Seattle2!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.