bad performance experiences

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/23/2004 5:13 pm
There have been times when I strode out of the venue feeling like the King Of The World... other times... like the fall of 1970...

The second gig I ever played was the Fall Fair at the small town I grew up in. At night, of course... Outdoors, don'cha know... in the *&#%'n rain!!! :rolleyes:

This wasn't some high-dollar extravaganza. We were on a bare wooden platform without any sort of a canopy. The stage got seriously slippery in the wet, and the only one who didn't flirt with death by electrocution was the drummer.

The climax of the evening was when I did a big 'Pete Townsend' windmill, lost my footing, and did the splits into a puddle. :eek:

Other tales of woe can be found here.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
spanky10940
spanky10940
07/23/2004 7:43 pm
we did an acoustic set about 5 weeks ago of my buddys original songs. well, we handn't rehearsed them and I kept going to G instead of F#....

after the 6th time of trying to figure out what was wrong we realized that even if we could do it right now, the audience was NOT interested in listening to us...

one worse, we were the first act up and we stayed the whole night with whispers of "those are the guys that sucked" going on as we walked by.. quite the humbling feeling.. (disappeared after the 5th beer tho! :D )
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/23/2004 8:06 pm
Originally Posted by: spanky10940... and we stayed the whole night with whispers of "those are the guys that sucked" going on as we walked by.. quite the humbling feeling...
Hey, at least you could walk! :o

It's all good. Or at least it seems that way, if it's far enough in the past. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
spanky10940
spanky10940
07/23/2004 8:10 pm
eh - what are you really gonna do, ya know? It happened, Keith and I laughed it off. We're not professionals, we don't pretend to be... I just love to play and have a good time.
Besides, things like that are bound to happen, it's how you handle yourself afterwords that makes ALL the difference...

(seeing as how we sucked so badly, if I wasn't married, I'd have been "handling" myself that night! LOL!!!)
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 4
kingdavid
kingdavid
07/24/2004 11:22 am
Originally Posted by: spanky10940...(seeing as how we sucked so badly, if I wasn't married, I'd have been "handling" myself that night! LOL!!!)

It figures. :D
Seriously though, in as much as you simply want to play and have a good time, you should take yourselves seriously enough to want to make your performances presentable, and the only way to do that is have a reasonable amount of practice.
Whether you'll be playing at a 3000+ capacity gig, or playing for your mom's best friend, it oughta be good.
# 5
wuuuaaaah
wuuuaaaah
07/25/2004 10:07 pm
Oh, dear, let me tell you about mine...hehe.
I was in my schools talent show this past year and it was just me, I didn't even know what I was gonna play. I just played. Well, the school auditorium was packed and it wasn't packed with the right kinbd of audience...no offense but they were all black and didn't care to hear me on guitar, but i figured thats ok. I went out and stated playing some solo and they were actually cheering, I just went up there and jammed as if I was at home, i started loosening up and decided to play behind my head, hehe, and playing behind my back, since it wasn't nothing new to me pulled my guitar back around unstrapped it and dropped it(purposely) face down and walked off stage. It was pretty fun, i didn't worry and just went up there and had fun and the impossible audience(i thought it was gonna be) liked it. I won 6th place, outta 30 something things, the first place to not got a prize, lol. Thats mine.
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/26/2004 2:17 am
I'm proud.

# 7
wuuuaaaah
wuuuaaaah
07/30/2004 5:03 pm
Originally Posted by: wuuuaaaahOh, dear, let me tell you about mine...hehe.
I was in my schools talent show this past year and it was just me, I didn't even know what I was gonna play. I just played. Well, the school auditorium was packed and it wasn't packed with the right kinbd of audience...no offense but they were all black and didn't care to hear me on guitar, but i figured thats ok. I went out and stated playing some solo and they were actually cheering, I just went up there and jammed as if I was at home, i started loosening up and decided to play behind my head, hehe, and playing behind my back, since it wasn't nothing new to me pulled my guitar back around unstrapped it and dropped it(purposely) face down and walked off stage. It was pretty fun, i didn't worry and just went up there and had fun and the impossible audience(i thought it was gonna be) liked it. I won 6th place, outta 30 something things, the first place to not got a prize, lol. Thats mine.

that really wasn't bad...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.