View post (The 70's, and the music as of late...)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
02/11/2001 3:36 pm
I'm not exactly a disgruntled musician who is still waiting for the past to repeat itself, :D, but besides some minor improvement when it comes to songriting over the past few years, I'm really not that impressed. The seventies was one of the greatest years in rock history, because if you ask me alot of the musicians from the past seemed to work a little harder on their arrangments and experimented with a greater amount of discipline than their counter parts today. Would you agree?

Now I'm sure there are alot of people who really love the music that has reached the surface as of late, (and some of it is really good), but for the most part I think most musicians today are more fixated with the idea of being a rockstar, to the point where they don't really work out their tunes from their heart and soul. The message that we're recieving isnt very personal, its more like they are stating the obvious. I'm not saying that we should live in the past, or that classic rock is "better" than whats out today (although its obviously was), I just feel that its important for us as musicians to examine our roots, to learn how they relate to the way we create.

-Joseph, :), and without a much needed cup of coffee...
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."