View post (hendrix vs. van halen)

View thread

RedZep
RedZep
08/16/2005 6:53 am
Oh boy. . . This ought'a be fun. :D

While you read this post, listen to this

Jimi Hendrix, plays a bunch of noise. . . you have to be kidding me. You are kidding right? Sounds like a close minded 12 year old thing to say to me, you are 12 right?

If not I sugest you open your eyes, because you are never going to become a great guitar player if you think someone like Jimi Hendrix isn't simply amazing.

This argument is really, really stupid. Eddie kicks ass, no doubt, so does Hendrix, there is one major difference though. No Hendrix = No Eddie (or at least what we know as Eddie today), not the other way around.

The thing that set Jimi Hendrix apart from everyone else was his ability to do everything perfectly, horribly, insanely different every time he played a song. Go listen to "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" Live at the Isle of Wight, then go listen to the version on the Woodstock CD. . . is there a difference? Now, does one or the other suck? That's what I thought.

Now, take a step back, and look at the big picture. See how far Jimi Hendrix came with what influences he had? Now, see the influences we all have today, and you wonder why there are so many good guitarist, but no good musicians.

This is before the time of Led Zeppelin, remember? There was no Jimmy Page to be majorly influenced by, all he had were the great blues musicians of the -40's (think Muddy Waters, Lemon Jefferson, Son House, Robert Johnson, etc.), and the outstanding raisers of the 50's and onward, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley (thank you very much, uh huh!), etc.

I remember, while I was walking through the great big Jimi Hendrix museum in Seattle Washington, there was a big-screen, with a interview on with Jeff Beck, and he said; "We were doing fine, playing with The Yardbirds, then all of a sudden this guy Jimi Hendrix came along, and I saw him play and thought to myself "time to find a new job. . .""

I can't wait to go back to the Jimi Hendrix museum, if you ever get a chance, go, because no matter what your views are on Hendrix, if you like him or not, you won't regret it, because it is simple amazing.

You should be about done with that song by now, depending on your reading speed/blindness. Now ask yourself; "How did he do that, with what he had to work with?"

I'm done here, I need a glass of water.

RedZep