View post (real advantages of perfect pitch??)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
05/25/2004 8:02 pm
The advantages of bettering your ear for music is worth more than anything else. Anyone who has gone through ear training and completely the course will tell you the same. Why else do you think you spend more time in ear training when you take college courses in ear training. ANd if you buy a book on sight reading or theory, the bulk of the book is on EAR TRAINING. Music is a listening art, so the better you get at using your ear. The better you'll understand music, and so the better you become at music. EVERYTHING in music goes back to how good you ear is. Writting your own music, figuring out songs, analyzing, sight reading, pulling ideas out of your head and on to your instrument.

Recognizing notes gets faster and faster as you continue to practice. Like everything else practice makes you better, but perfect pitch ear training is not an easy task to master. As for solos, yeah you can definitely remember and more easiely it figure out with perfect pitch. I can do it without my instrument. I know in my head what every note on the guitar sounds like before I even play it. And I know the sound of that note crystal clear. The largest benefit with perfect pitch is this, knowing the sounds and feeling each note has. Like knowing that B has a dark sound. SO if I wanted to write something dark, B minor is the perfect key for it. B major if I wanted a dark but stronger sounding part. Knowing the secrets of each of the 12 notes is the true benefit. Those without an understanding of this always doubt it exists, but even as you are learning the notes. You can tell the difference between the notes because each note has a different sound from the others and where you hear that, you know it's this note. As you continue to practice, these distinctions will become clearer and clearer.

And everyday listening becomes clearer, better, and more distinct. Musical memory becomes better. You can clearly recall tunes you heard days or weeks before. Point is everything you do in music gains, even your appreciation. I could ramble on for pages about the benefits.

Oh yeah, when it comes to chords. Perfect pitch will tell you what the root of this chord is but it won't tell you the type of chord it is. You need to practice naming chords as you play them to develop relative pitch. Relative pitch is understanding how the notes come together to form chords and the intervals from one note to another. Both are of equal value, you should practice alittle of both.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.