View post ((Another) Worse gig experience)

View thread

Code_Monk
Code_Monk
04/02/2001 6:44 am
Oh boy...some interesting one here.
Heres mine :
I joined this band on a wenesday. We had out first gig that saturday. It was just a neighborhod party, nothing special.
The material was a mix or originals and covers. I knew about half of the material we did. I basically just followed the bass player. The band was a hispanic music band that played Cumbias (50's style rock) and Rancheras (sort of country like). With me coming from a hard rock/heavy metal background (with a little classical) made for a very interesting sound. We were pretty well recieved there though.

Its the next gig that was the disaster.
The following week we were playing at this rather large nightclub (capacity of about 2000 people). We were the 5th band to play (last band of the night). By that time I had most of the material down pretty good. We get to the nightclub, and the management tells us we were not going to be allowed to play since the first band played a bit longer than expected. Well...the drummer (who handled most of our bookings) talked them into letting us play anyway by playing for free (we wanted the exposure). The house was packed.
This was my first gig with more than 50 or so people. I though I would be nervous but I wasn't.
Anyway, our first song came and went perfectly. The second song though, pretty much ruined our night. When we started playing, the only one that was playing in the right key was me! We managed to segway(sp?) into it, but not very gracefully. The management was not pleased. When we started the 3rd song, managment cut the power to the stage and told us we were done!