View post (Bpm)

View thread

basics
basics
04/16/2004 5:51 am
A decent opinion at that. Guess I was lamenting the fact that I'm learning the art of 'shredding' which means working in the pinky finger. I've got to relearn how to play really, while maintaining my old style and implementing the new. Means I've got to play the same progressions over and over trying to build up strength and accuracy, for 8 months now, which is nothing in retrospect, but it's as if I feel my creativity slipping away in the progress. Thing is, I figure a lot of new artists concentrate specifically on this task while not grasping the finer points in music which is a shame. Reality is though, hopefully, musicians most likely will develop their own musicality naturally in this quest for speed, simply as a natural learning process.

Or perhaps not. Perhaps musicality is a feature one is born with. And speed measured by a metronome is a substitute for it.

..............................Actually, this is a stupid arguement of mine. Speed is speed, and a metronome is just a means of precision. A fast musician is just a fast musician, not a lousy one. I'm practicing the very thing I'm putting down. I just don't like 80s music. I want to be a blues based rock guitarist with Cooley speed. Just takes so LONG.