View post (Bpm)

View thread

Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
04/16/2004 5:09 am
Someone sounds a bit bitter towards precision :D

I think playing with a metronome is essential whether you play rock,classical, whatever. Unless your also an ace drummer who has perfect timing then your gonna slip out of time. Especially important to practice with one if your playing with a band, nothing worse than 4 or 5 musicians all playing the same song out of time with each other.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who play fast and precise stuff on the guitar who can write good songs. The fact is, if everyone played slow chords and melodies, it would sound just as bland and tasteless. Anyone can learn a I-IV-V chord progression and sing over it.... I wouldn't call that good original music.

Personally, I learn sweep picking and legato and all the other techniques which go along with that because I want to be able to play everything I can on the guitar. I don't like not being able to do something on the guitar. When you devote your life to something you don't want to find there's something your falling behind on. I'd say as far as trading creativity for speed and precision that I think being able to play super fast and accurately just widens your options, i'd rather not play fast by choice than not have the option to in the first place.

I don't want to bring up Satriani again as though thats the only music I listen to....BUT.... I wouldn't say theres 1 song of Satriani's that is catchy because of the fast legato, it's always because of a lead line or rhythm part that is easy but creative. "Always with me, Always with you" for example, loads of people love that song, and the main riff is something a complete beginner could learn in a day.

Then again, that's just my opinion. :cool:

- J