View post (Rythm and You - Knowing what you're doing)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
03/19/2004 7:20 pm
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
[B BTW 6/4 is a compound time signature, 2 dotted half note beats. So is 12/16 which is two dotted eighth note beats.

**6/4 is debatable, sometimes the pulse is on the dotted half, sometimes (more commonly in my exp.) the pulse is on the quarter. Your right 12/16 is compound, except it is made up of 4 dotted 8ths not 2.

Like I said the quarter note divided into a triplet is a bad way to look at compound time signatures.

**Why?

And where does the tempo fit into this. It's 3/8 because the feel of the entire song is Da-da-da (better yet Da-ta-ta, maybe that's where the confusion lies) 3/8. Not DA-DA-DA which is characteristic to 3/4. That's how I see it, if you want to argue that two and three have a pulse. I don't hear it. Yes, there are some drums and sometimes chords fall on those (divided)beats, but ONE, to me, is the only clear beat.

**That's what I've been arguing all along, that each note of the riff A C# E G B D D D# E recieves a pulse, and the chord part clealy represents and equal subdivision of the beats 2 & 3, which is entirely characteristic of 3/4.

Do you understand why I say it's 3/8. It's not because of which notes I chose to represent a beat or the tempo or pace of the song. It's the "PULSE-ta-ta PULSE-ta-ta" feel the song has.

**The ta's recieve too much of an emphasis to be considered an 8th note feel. And when you analyze the rhythms of the rest of the song it defintely fits into more of a characteristic 3/4 feel.

Ceize to think of the tempo in determining whether a tune is in 3/4 or 9/8. Some composers do this but then you have to kick them around a bit before they stop asking well, "why do some people write 3/2 instead of 3/4, blah, blah, blah?" Just because there's 3 beats doesn't mean you get a nice choice of which T.S. to use, and they all mean the same thing. Some do think, if it's faster use 3/4, if it's slower use 9/8 or whatever. They don't get it.

**Why do you always have to insert these demeaning paragraphs with words like "Cieze" "Accept as the Truth" "Believe me tHis" like your the authority...it becomes quite annoying. Just trying to have an intelligent debate.
[/B]