View post (Pent Box)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/06/2004 4:02 am
Sometimes you only see what you want to see. Pentatonics do pop up everywhere, but so do other scales. I myself, have not thought before playing a single note what scale I'm going to use before writing any music. Sure alot of familiar ones do pop out, but I am not concerned with the use of any in particular. To me, music isn't putting together a jig-saw puzzle of scales and chords. To me it's progressing from one sound to another in whatever manner compels me. I would probably kick my own arse if I suddenly decided that my judge became anything other than what I want to hear. I'm not saying throw out all theory, scales, and whatnot. What I'm suggesting is to create with what music actually is, sound. And be experimental, don't say well here's an A minor chord so I should use the A minor pent. Keep the pent scale in your back pocket but be open minded to what else is out there.

Remember scales are nothing more than tonality, meaning each and different ones set different moods, texture, or feelings to what your using them over. Pents are only one tonality. If you only use one, your start to sound repetitive.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.