View post (Pent Box)

View thread

basics
basics
03/04/2004 8:22 pm
It occurs to me that people in this forum look down on the pentatonic way of playing. I remember doing a search and seeing some guy putting down another for playing using the 'basic pentatonic scales' and a couple other times when players aren't considered worthy guitarists for sticking to the box. I think that's crap. It may be considered 'old school' and blah blah blah but when it comes down to it, going outside the box only articulates another style of playing. One can play just as fast a riff in the box as another can working a complete minor scale or diminished etc. You can't argue that. Folks spend their entire lives getting box riffs right fast, as fast as any minor shred riff. You can shred too using a pent scale, not necessarily always in the box but doable nonetheless. One might argue its limitations theory wise. Who cares. All anybody ever does is practice a couple riffs til its light speed anyway, no matter what complex or non complex scale it happens to be in.

Its true that its not common to find shredding done in the box, but all I'm looking for is a bit of respect when it comes down to the way folk play. I happen to think that if the next hero that is to come along happens to play in the box and is glorified by the media, all you folk would all of a sudden start whipping out the pent riffs again and maybe start putting down the minor scale way of playing. Its all relative.