View post (Reflections)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
03/02/2004 6:49 pm
Just one question for those of you who don't believe in a God, or at least something supernatural...

Where did all the matter in the universe come from if it was not created by a God? The God itself did not need to be created by something higher due to its nature, but rocks and gases and stuff can't have just appeared out of nowhere (at least I don't see how they could have). The big bang theory is all well and good except for one thing - it doesn't explain where all the matter in the universe first came from. Having read many, many theories about the origin of the universe, in my mind it has been narrowed down to 2 possibilities (since I believe the universe must have originated somehow) :

1) The universe just randomly appeared out of chance, and being infinite, there was the chance that conditions for life to appear would occur somewhere in the infinite universe, and it did.

2) God - God created all the universe.

Note that with Chaos Theory, the chance that an omnipotent God popping into random existence is equal to the chance that an infinite universe popping into existence. It all boils down to what you want to believe, hope, and faith. I choose to believe in God, I have faith that he exists and that there's something better after this life, and I hope I'm not wrong ;) (though would it not be better to be a Christian and die, and there turn out to be nothing after death, than a non-Christian and die, and it turns out that there is a God?)
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster