View post (Distortion pedal for blues/shredding)

View thread

Daniel
Daniel
04/15/2000 1:02 am
quote:
Originally posted by Fender2336:
hey Daniel- where can I find "the rat"? I'm looking into buying a distortion pedal..and how much is it?

Where do you live? If you live in the suburbs, and don't have any large guitar stores near you, I don't really know where you'd find it. If you live someplace near a Sam Ash, or Guitar Center, or any relatively large guitar store, even some small ones (I tried a rat out at 30th street guitars in new york, a small vintage guitar shop) will probably stock it. Its not as big a name as the boss, but it will cost you a bit less, ok like 10 bucks (I think the rat I saw went for about 70, whereas the boss metal zone was something like 80) and in my opinion the tone is at least as good. If you can find one to try out, I'd suggest you do so, compare it to the metal zone, also, if you are looking for a less intense distortion, more of a led zeppelin type grit than heavy metal growl distortion, try out the boss
ds-1 distortion, its a lot cheaper (talking 30-40 dollar range), and while the distortion isn't as intense or sensitive, it's good for what it's good for. It really depends on what kind of distortion you want. For a stevie ray vaughan edgey blues distortion, he used the ibanez tubescreamer, and you should too. That's more of an overdrive tho, it simulates what you would get by overdriving a tube amp. I could probably go on, if you have any more questions, feel free.