View post (Distortion pedal for blues/shredding)

View thread

Daniel
Daniel
04/01/2000 1:03 am
I don't know about the bluesbreaker, but I've played a good deal on the metal zone pedal. While the metal zone is good for very distorted metal, it doesn't seem to me like it would be the right choice for you here. For one thing, its probably not the kind of pedal you want to play on a guitar with single coils. Its really better for tight metallica type distortion, not as nice for slightly overdriven warmer yngwie stuff. Remember, for a true yngwie tone, you have to use the middle pickup (I'm pretty sure he almost always uses that one) and it won't sound good if there is too much distortion related buzz. I dont know about the bluesbreaker, but i've heard its a good pedal, and for that tone where the distortion isn't really overpowering, just adding sustain and a bit of crunch on chords, my guess is you'd be better off with the bluesbreaker. The best advice tho, is to go your local guitar shop and play on both till you drop. One distortion pedal I love, but which will probably give you more distortion than you need, is the rat. With the rat you get lots of sensitivity, picks up harmonics well, but doesn't create too much extra noise, its still quiet if you have humbuckers. Well, that's my 2 cents, but you should choose based on sound.