View post (Amp)

View thread

Death55
Death55
02/20/2004 6:48 pm
Go for the 5150 II. This has better tone than the first one. If you dont like the distortion you can just get it modded. Its good for the price compare to triple rectifier i think. The triple xxx is ok from what i've heard but isnt that great !
As said by hammurabi, you should check out the engl amps. From what i've heard they are very good. I know the powerball and fireball are both good amps that will do a similar job to the amps you've mentioned and probably better from what i've heard.
Also merker, you talk about having a 40 watt combo. I have to agree that this would be a good idea. If you arent going to be needing a very loud amp for a band practising this would probably be fine. I know that the engl powerball still sounds very good at low volumes which is why i have my eyes set on it at the moment.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.