View post (Should I Take Lessons???)

View thread

Nivek
Nivek
01/15/2001 4:53 am
Hi. I've been playing for exactly one year on a used Strat I bought fromt the local guitar shop. I've always wanted to play, but never had the resources. Once I started playing, though, I gained an immediate passion for it, and surrounded myself with other guitarists who have helped me along the way. I guess I'm an OK player (I really dont have anyone to compair too...) and have spent my the past year learning how to play the guitar, not learning songs to play with it; so when I listen to my friends brag about learning the latest and great song off of olga.net, I dont get much reaction with the rights to being able to playing an A major scale over chords, or improvising with a penatonic. Yet, as kewl as it is to see people in a state of shock when I play them some tabs I read, its not as kewl as hearing the veterans whail away on a half stack when i walk into a guitar store...and the first thing i ask them is if they took lessons? Usual, its a yes and I wonder if I will need them if i ever wanna understand as much as they do. I could stick with my friends...but they just keep playing other peoples songs...I have no one to compare technique too, so i guess ill keep learning the blue 12 - bar progression, or spend what little money i have on guitar lessons...(did i mention i still need to keep school in focus, as well a play practice and work...) IF ANYONE CAN PROVIDE INSIGHT, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

P.S. SORRY SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG!