Favourite authors/books?

the fool
the fool
01/15/2004 4:07 am
hey slasher- are u for real?

when did they made this movie for johnny got his gun? I have never heard of it. Who's the actor? is the movie any good?

I didn't know that the metallica song was inspired by the book. cool!
"Lets seeā€¦ well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I canā€™t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: ā€œYour guitar is too loud!ā€ I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
the fool
the fool
01/15/2004 4:08 am
r u guys talkin about kerouac the beatnik? i like his poetry. have u guys read any?
"Lets seeā€¦ well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I canā€™t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: ā€œYour guitar is too loud!ā€ I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/15/2004 4:50 am
Originally posted by the fool
hey slasher- are u for real?

when did they made this movie for johnny got his gun? I have never heard of it. Who's the actor? is the movie any good?

I didn't know that the metallica song was inspired by the book. cool!

Dunno if this is the same thing, but I saw the movie from which Metallica took scenes for the One video long before I ever saw the One video. It was pretty interesting, but at the same time cheesy.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/15/2004 4:51 am
Originally posted by iiholly
A lot of people don't get Kerouac I think to really appreciate his work you have to know a little about the guy. He created a new form of writing called spontaneous prose. Basically he would take drugs, and write an autobiographical book in about a week or less.
I'm pretty sure you mean Desolation Angels, and that is one of Kerouac's greatest supposedly. I found some of it amusing. One seen he mourn the death of a mouse which he killed. Then another moused died, and he though it was the old mouses' friend, and had commited suicide. Pretty funny stuff. Atleast, I thought so.
[/B]

.... you feeling alright there? :confused:

[/sarcasm]
# 4
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
01/15/2004 8:16 am
right now im reading 'torture garden' by octave mirbeau [spellcheck on surname tho]

most french authors words are tasty in my brain..

english - JG ballard !!!

books are like bands cant get enough of all thats available
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 10:46 pm
Originally posted by the fool
r u guys talkin about kerouac the beatnik? i like his poetry. have u guys read any?

Yes we are talking about the beat. His poetry is okay, but his novels are the best of his work I'd like to think. There are plent of great beat poets, but I don't Jack's poetry was the best.

# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 10:48 pm
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman

.... you feeling alright there? :confused: [/B]

I have a morbid sense of humor, what can I say?

# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/16/2004 2:31 am
Originally posted by iiholly
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman

.... you feeling alright there? :confused:

I have a morbid sense of humor, what can I say? [/B]

No, not the content of what you said... more the way you said it...

...if you catch my drift...

[/sarcasm]
# 8
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/16/2004 3:07 am
I have caught it.

# 9
u10ajf
u10ajf
01/16/2004 5:55 pm
Ursula LeGuinn. Sci fi/fantasy writer who avoids the usual crap cliches and writes compelling and humanly interesting stories.
Philip K. Dick, Read Radio Free Albemuth, it's brilliant sci fi with lots of ingeious and mad ideas. It was his last book before he died, wasting away on a diet of stimulants (amphetamines, like Kerouac) that he used to help hiim meet deadlines, including, ultimately, his own. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep became the basis for the film bladerunner. The Minority Report became the basis for the same titled film with Tom Cruise. I haven't seen the film but the short story is in a compilation called "The days of Perky Pat" and is possibly the best short story I've ever read.
I've just finished reading an hilarious book called "The Quantity Theory of Insanity" by Will Self. It's damn funny and examines a very odd concept and its influence on other wise disperate lives of various people.
Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaiden" is a brilliantly written distopian novel. I haven't read any of her other stuff but she has a great reputation.
William Golding is often hailed as "the greatest living writer" and certainly books like the Inheritors, Lord of the flies, freefall etc are superb.
I loved Lloyd Alexander's Black Cauldron series,
I'm sure there must be others but these are the only ones that spring to mind at the moment.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.