View post (What can you do with a couple grand?)

View thread

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/08/2004 4:13 am
You asked for it! I'm gonna be brutally honest, since I don't see the musical value of new punk (I do have great respect for the Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, since they had a message, whether political or musical, whereas today's punk doesn't seem very deep, either musically or message-wise). I do appreciate its [u]emotional[/u] value (i.e. that it can fit a fun, angry, etc. mood) but you can only listen to so many three-power-chord songs.

So, here it is:

• Waaaaay too much screaming, growling, howling, grunting, other guttural noises for my taste.

• Interesting breakdown, although I expected it to kick back into the heavy bit. A smooth little guitar solo a la David Gilmour would sound pretty nice over top the chords/harmonics. Maybe even some gentler singing; it would help balance out the above-mentioned noises. Production is pretty good, but I couldn't really get past the screaming.

• If those lyrics posted on the site are the actual lyrics, they're pretty good. If they have meaning for you and aren't just a bunch of words that you think sounds cool/intelligent, then I have much respect for you as a lyricist. The only reason I have some doubt about their sincerity is the music.

... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]