View post (Help!!! What ibanez rg model to choose????)

View thread

sambob
sambob
01/04/2004 7:31 pm
I've been playing RG gutiars for a while. I guess technically the PGM and JEM models are better (i've played and owned both), but as far as cost goes...I still say go with an RG. My favorite was the RG560, which was the 570 with a HSS pickup configuration, very cool. But alas they don't make that anymore.

Basically, if I were you, I'd find a used 570 or 550 (570 for the rosewood fingerboard, 550 for the maple), then just swap out the pickups for whatever pickups you like (stock Ibanez pickups aren't all that great in my experience), and you have a pretty good ax.

And if you are into the JEM type guitars, you can pretty much turn an RG into something as functional as a JEM for half the price!

But, if you're interested in JEMs still, I suggest you wait a couple of months. I think Ibanez is about to release yet ANOTHER JEM model (as described by Steve Vai on a DVD recently), a new one may screw with teh used prices, it tends to.

And if you're really stuck on buying a new guitar, and you are choosing betwen an RG, JEM of PGM, but still want to stay on budget, I'd say the PGM is the best bet, as they're fairly inexpensive new.