View post (Crappy clean tone with my Marshall)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
12/15/2006 1:12 pm
Originally Posted by: jealousblues52 ri tele
mid 90's american strat
PRS CE22
and a warmoth strat with the custom (Ithink) 57? pups, i forgot the number but they are the 50s ones, not the fat 50''s.

Hm... none of those guitars ahve high output pickups so that's probably not the problem. Like FRICK said, try rolling the volume back a littl... This normally bleeds off some of those highs that make your tone sound a bit clanky.

Their are two variations of the 50's pickups.... The ones used in the '54 and the '57/'62 set.... Either are low output. The thing about those pickups though... is that they have a very bell-like tone. Which is bad when you don't want your tone to sound too trebley. One thing you can do is... like I said earlier.... Roll the tone knobs back to the bass side... cut the volume back like FRICK said... and use either the neck/middle switch position or the nec/middle positions... That will help smooth out the sound a little bit. Try that and see if it's to your liking. I use a TS-808 and a Hendrix wah in my chain... I normally leave the wah engaged in the up position to help smooth out the tone when I need that really creamy smooth sounding tone...