View post (Best outtake ever)

View thread

the fool
the fool
01/02/2004 6:41 pm
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Lordathestrings

After a while, you notice that the singers are the ones who are most likely to mess around with you. It's because their part is so easy! LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What are you talkin about? I may not be as expert of a guitarist as you guys are. But if there's something that I'm good at, it's singing. I'm a singer. I've been singing for almost 16 years now (6 years professionally) and I tell you, it's not easy. If you don't mind, here's just what I have to say:

(1) Stage freight is stage freight whether you're the singer, the guitarist, or whatever. It will screw you if you let it.

(2) Singing is very much under rated because everyone thinks it's easy, like let's say speaking, but just as a lot thing goes with communication, in reality singing can actually be difficult- requiring a lot of effort. I always say that its easy to sing a song but to focus on it and to try to sing it properly, it takes a lot to pull it off. That is why I strongly believe that singing is an instrument by itself that should be respected. You already have a lot of things in your head- your projection (ie. singing in chest voice, making sure you breath properly, making sure your transition from chest voice to falsetto is smooth etc.), your form, your timing, your diction, how you use dynamics etc.- there's so many technicalities, it takes a lot of practice just to get used to the complexities. Now, add to that your movement on stage and how you move about your hands (when you just hold a mic and don't play an instrument). Now, with all those things, try playing a guitar on top of those things, and I'll bet you, if you're not experience, either you will throw singing off or your playing off. That's why some bands have just a lead vocalist even though most of the guys in the band can sing. It's hard to concentrate on the music while concentrating on singing and moving at the same time.

"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"