View post (Question for Chris Mood (aka Theory Master))

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
11/07/2003 3:40 am
Originally posted by chris mood
NTM....Minor, Major, and Dominate7#11 chords are actually quite common, I would even go as far as saying more common then chords that contain the natural 11th. The natural 11th does not sound good within a chord, to "sus" sounding. [/B]

I don't see very many, especially where those terms are correct. A dominant7#11 could very well be a misinterpreted Dominant7b5 chord, I'd watch for that and also it being confused as a dom9#5 (Cdom#11 = Ddom9#5). It does happen naturally in the melodic minor as IV but still from my experience it takes alot of unorthodox variables to sit right, especially since it's very close to V (more common and correct). With a minor7#11, that could be a half-diminished chord and 99% of the time is. The problem is you have to play the 5th and the #11 for it to actually be a X#11 chord. You can't ommit the 5th like most chords because then the #11 is commonly taken as a b5 in it's place (the problem with the minor version). In a major chord, the #11 with the 5th is actually colorful but over a minor chord it is disrupting and dissonant (like it's fighting between diminished and minor sounding). 11th chords are suspended 7th chords, just like sus4 is a suspended major or minor triad. I've even seen this "G7sus4", that's really a G11. That is actually a very common chord.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.