Howdyou unscrew CDs?

u10ajf
u10ajf
10/24/2003 6:29 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
Catastrophic with flames and small explosions and stuff !!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! Happy days !

kinda jimi hendrix monterey thing only with crap and thankfully inaudible music. Hmm. maybe that wasn't a great analogy. Hm. I seem to have caught hmms from iiholly!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
POSOLIN
POSOLIN
11/06/2005 3:18 am
Don't know if there is a Fry's electronics around your area, or www.outpost.com, they have a product called "disk doctor" it works great!

Originally Posted by: u10ajfArghhh! Two of my favourite albums are screwed; Dream Theater Awake and Three Sides to every Story by Extreme. I hate it I hate it. Argghh!!!! Please, do you know anything I can do to get rid of CD scratches? I heard brasso works but i tried it on a joe Satriani and it didn't help too much. Are there any laquers which fill in the scratch marks rather than wearing everything else down to that level?

# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/06/2005 3:24 am
Theres something ive never understood about fixing cd's.Even by filling in scratches,won't the information still be missing?
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
Shredda_42
Shredda_42
11/06/2005 3:29 am
metho....metholated spirits...
[FONT=Impact]_,.-'`^`'-.,_"Shredda"_,.-'`^`'-.,_[/FONT]
# 4
POSOLIN
POSOLIN
11/06/2005 3:50 am
I accidently bought some music CDs and they are "screwed" mainly used for DJs, is there any way to "un-screw" them???

Originally Posted by: u10ajfArghhh! Two of my favourite albums are screwed; Dream Theater Awake and Three Sides to every Story by Extreme. I hate it I hate it. Argghh!!!! Please, do you know anything I can do to get rid of CD scratches? I heard brasso works but i tried it on a joe Satriani and it didn't help too much. Are there any laquers which fill in the scratch marks rather than wearing everything else down to that level?

# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/06/2005 8:28 am
first of all... here we go with more old threads reviving...

secondly, did this guy come in, give advice, and then ask the same question as the original poster of this thread? I mean no offense or anything, I'm just saying that's kinda funny... it's kinda like "the bathrooms are down the hall, oh, and by the way, where are the bathrooms?"

lastly, LATS, is there anything you don't know? seriously... it's kinda scary
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6
Toastless
Determined!
Toastless
Determined!
11/06/2005 11:55 am
The data on cds is stored in a few places, when a cd player finds a scratch it'll spin around and try to find another replica of the data, this is why you get massive jumps, copying using your computer is a pretty reliable way of fixing this. I personally use cd ripping software to create a new version of the track then burn it back to a cd if required, at very least it gets rip of the big seeking pause you get, usuallly fixing them completely.
# 7
markc2005
markc2005
11/06/2005 3:15 pm
One of my mates told me that scratches can be romoved using a thin layer of t-cut he says he has used it on cd's n dvd's loads of times, be careful though n dont leave it on long because its pretty strong stuff.
i rip all my music on to my pc when i get it, it all goes on my ipod, then they live on the top shelf in my room nice n safe
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2005 5:05 pm
Anybody else ever come across holes in their CD's?
I've got a few I bought in the early 90's where the surface inside the CD has eroded or something. (so much for CD's lasting a lifetime)
# 9
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/06/2005 6:19 pm
There was a good article on media lifespans in a computer magazine.

15 to 30 years for CD's or CD-/+R's or something in that realm.The next wave of storage is here in its infancy anyway...behold the flash!I think it will evolve a bit more though until we really see people buying "invisible" albums as the norm.
Try once,fail twice...
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/06/2005 6:53 pm
It really didn't say.It just gave the numbers and media.DVD's had something like 50+ years.

I imagine its just humidity/oxidation causing pits...i'm just speculating that though.
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/06/2005 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartTheres something ive never understood about fixing cd's.Even by filling in scratches,won't the information still be missing?

I'm pretty sure the information is stored on the back part of the label. The mirror surface you see on the bottom of the cd is the lable, not the plastic itself. But if you have holes in the label (as schmange said) you're pretty much screwed.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 12
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/07/2005 12:55 am
CDs anger me. I bought a King Diamond CD a few months ago and fresh out of the case I began ripping it. Towards the end of the CD the songs would just screw up and eventually I would just shut down the process because it was taking too long and the songs weren't coming through well at all. I was quite po'd if I recall correctly. I'd looked at the CD afterwards and it had circle scratches on it. The toothpaste thing didn't work for it either. So I took it back, told Best Buy to shove it, and they let me exchange it for a CD of the same price. Lucky me they had a different King Diamond 2-in-1 pack which I snatched up as soon as I saw it. So I have a fragment of a CD I want and I got 2 others in the process. Take that system.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.