View post (Tubes)

View thread

SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
10/05/2003 1:17 pm
Thanx man , I'm very glad you replied first , cuz I was like posting this thread looking for help from you (and/or Lordathestrings) particularly .

First , it's a Vibrolux reverb ... Not pretty sure wether it's pretty old or a re-issue , but it has a silver face .
Since you say it will lose lots of noticeable volume with a blown tube , I assume it's working well , cuz it's a hell of a loud amp for a 40watt combo , I was very impressed with it's big volume (I think that's because I'm used to Solid States , yeah ?)

Yeah , it's got 2 channels with 2 input jacks each , one for the reverb & vib , the other is clean.

As I recall , there were 3 6L6's , and there were 12ax7, & 12AT7 (not sure how many) ... I think one of the 6L6's had a little blue color , and the rest were orange ... Adjusting the bias would be like arranging the resistors , like biasing a transistor , right ?
If a tube is blown , does it glows in a certain color , or it shouldn't glow at all ?

Yes, I'm very excited to learn & experiment more about tubes , so I think I'm buying the amp this weekend , considering that I'm getting it for about $250 and in very good condition. (saw them on e-bay ranging from $500-2500 !).

One last stupid question :) , the tubes other than the 6L6's had like a metal cover on them ... I checked how the 12ax7 look online and they were uncovered glass , just like I would expect ... Is that ok ?