View post (getting famous)

View thread

quickfingers
quickfingers
10/24/2005 2:24 am
but it IS competition when you are labeling yourself as a musician who is trying to be "among the best." thats the facts, bro. if your a skateboarder who's claim to fame is doing 20 stair handrails, and you want to be the best, thats DIRECT competition. dont tell me that guitarists dont compete, becasue thats a damn lie. even in the most creative of environments, with ideas flowing, theres still direct competition, wether you feel it or not. so to say that you want to be known for your instrumental skill in guitar (im assuming that by this statement you mean technical skill) then thats a million times moreso. im not ragging on people that want to be good guitarists....hell, i play guitar all the damn time to BE a real good guitarist. im not trying to put other peole like me down. but you do have to sit back and laugh a little bit at people in a guitar forum, without a band, who have been playing for like 4 years maybe, and are approaching mid-20's that are talking about "making it big" or "being a respected musician among guitarists." its not that that dream isnt possible, it just sounds damn incompitent when people try to act like theyre the only ones who have thought of that. like, oooh, thats real revolutionary. becasue every otehr guitarist in the world plays powerchords, you will be the ONLY guitarist to step it up and you will be known as "guitar hero" in your hometown. come on, people. seriously. you could close your eyes, shoot a bullet, and nail a guitarist in the head wehrever you are in the world. not to say that just becusae there are tons of musicians in the trade means that you have zero chance of being recognized, but...f*ck, you guys. sounding a bit on the pathetic side.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE