View post (Recording setup)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/12/2003 10:02 pm
If you are going the way of the DAW (which you appear to be) Id suggest you have a really long hard look at the Korg D1600 mK II rather than the Yamaha.

The Korg comes with and supports a larger HDD and has more versatile routing options. It is more expensive but can do everything this beast can do and more. The mkII also has a USB port for exporting wav files to a PC fir further editing, not essential but a nicer (IMHO) interface.

I am biast as I used to own a D1600 and loved it to bits. The D1200 is another option however if you want to record live drums the D1600 is for you !

Whichever way you decide to go, the next best thing (in terms of bang for your buck) is a mic preamp. The Behringers are OK, not as nice sounding as the more expensive ones but can give a dramatic improvement in sound for very little cash ! Id also think about a nice condenser mic like a Shure KSM series as well as the good old Shure SM57s and SM58s. Also drum mics. Uhhh ooohhhho GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) attack looming !

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS