View post (Is my guitar pooched?)

View thread

kamikaze
kamikaze
08/27/2003 3:07 pm
Hello

I've been using a Washburn Dimebag SS 332 for the last three years, and have been noticing a problem. After re-stringing my guitar, my 1st and 2nd strings ( high-E and B ) will only last about 3-4 weeks. I know this is "technically" typical that strings should be replaced this often anyways, but the strings don't just sound bad, they sound TERRIBLE. There is a very very obvious ringing sound, and my 1st string's intonation will be totally out of whack. It's as if the strings are breaking at some point or something. I originally had the factory strings on for well over 3 months, and they were very useable. Most of my friends have kept the same strings on their guitar for 6 months at a time! Is there something wrong with my guitar? It's a tune-o-matic bridge, and I've played with the "height" recently, so that i could lower the action on my guitar, and have the strings closer to the fretboard. Will playing with the bridge like that mess up the guitar?

Also, I was considering upgrading my bridge to a floating Floyd Rose. Is it an expensive upgrade to do to my guitar? If it's my bridge that's out of whack and I have to replace it, I'm definitely going to upgrade instead of replacing it.