Clicky

Guitar Positioning Newbie Question


Eddie1410
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/26
Posts: 2
Eddie1410
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/26
Posts: 2
10/08/2026 3:53 am

Hello everyone. Eddie here. I've just picked the guitar up again after 40 odd years and am now happily plowing my way through the Beginner's Fundamentals course. 


The guitar I'm using has a cutout and I'm struggling to find a comfortable position whilst playing. I was hoping to get some feedback as to how I could improve my positioning or if I just need more time to adjust? I've only been practising for a few weeks.


I've tried sitting the guitar on my other knee, tilting the neck upwards (which seems to help a bit) and angling the face of the guitar upwards a little  as well. However, it still feels at times to be slipping and overall feels unbalanced. I've thought about using a guitar strap however my guitar doesn't have any buttons. I think there are kits for that which I'll look into down the line sometime.


Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.


# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,086
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,086
10/08/2026 3:08 pm

Hi Eddie,


Thanks for your question - a lot of people feel this way! 


I would advise you look into getting strap buttons installed by a luthier, and using a strap. The strap takes over a lot of the work of holding the guitar steady, so that you can use your hands and arms to actually play it - without also having to keep it stable.


Once you do get a strap, you will want to experiment with having it be a little longer, a little shorter, and some some of the guitar-holding positions you described. And maybe even try standing up to play.


Hopefully with some exploration you will find a 'sweet spot' where the strap is doing its job, and you are comfortable holding and playing your guitar. 


For me, a strap is a must-have. 


Hope this helps a little! - Lisa


Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
Eddie1410
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/26
Posts: 2
Eddie1410
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/26
Posts: 2
10/09/2026 5:16 am

Hi Lisa. Great, thankyou for your helpful answer. I suspected that may be the case, but hearing it from someone who actually knows what their doing really helps. Especially as a newbie learning solo online.


Thanks again, really appreciate it.


 


# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.