Clicky

Musings of a beginner


hoosieritguy
Full Access
Joined: 12/06/25
Posts: 6
hoosieritguy
Full Access
Joined: 12/06/25
Posts: 6
08/26/2026 4:18 pm

I'm glad I came across this thread.


I get stuck too.  A lot!  I'm left handed learning to play right handed.  Why?  First, have you ever shopped for a left handed guitar?  Very limited selection and usually priced a bit higher.  Second, chord charts are all done right handed.  Lessons are done right handed.  I figured there would be fewer frustrations for me the learn right handed.  In my journey, I haven't really had an issue with right vs left handed learning and it means I'm facing a challenge that I chose and I'm winning.


One of my biggest learning hurdles is fingerpicking.  I'm sure that has to do a lot with doing this right handed.  Starting very slowly I can make my fingers work right.  As I pick up speed, my thumb and one of my fingers always ends up getting stuck playing on the wrong strings.  Repetatively.  Since I'm doing this journey on my own, it gives me some extra flexability in what I'm learning.  I put a pin in that technique and move on.  I know it isn't the end of the world to miss that one technique.  By moving on to something else, I keep learning. I don't feel like I'm failing because of being stuck. I can go back at any time and try that again when I'm in a better frame of mind for the challenge.  I tried again not long ago and was able to play the right strings for a longer period.  I still have a long way to go though.  But that's some progress anyway.


Barre chords is another hurdle.  I've been learning on an acoustic guitar and I just couldn't make make it work.  The extra pressure required and my nice but inexpensive acoustic wasn't setup very well added up to too much challenge.  What did I do?  I made another small investment with a very inexpensive electric guitar.  A Donner Tele style.  I found it on Ebay for less than $100.  Not dirt cheap, but cheap.  That gets me past the difficulties of the acoustic and allows me to build up some finger strength and coordination before moving back to my acoustic.


Next time you get stuck, give yourself a break for a day or two or more if you need it.  Don't quit.  Move on to something else then go back.  Try a different song or a different technique.  Try different gear.  Since this isn't school and there aren't exams or recitals or evaluations, you have the choice to skip over what you can't get right now and go back to it later.


Good luck, keep playing, and don't give up on yourself.


Jarrod


Jarrod, 58


Started guitar at 45, put it down at 51, revived it at 57.


2nd time GT member.


Learned 100% online (plus 15 private lessons).


Not nearly as far along as I should be, but I'm still chasing it!

# 21
netahnpaul86
Registered User
Joined: 08/07/26
Posts: 8
netahnpaul86
Registered User
Joined: 08/07/26
Posts: 8
08/27/2026 4:44 pm

A comfortable neck and reasonable action can make practice much more enjoyable and remove unnecessary frustration. I also agree about using simple songs as “easy wins”—recognising a chord change or riff in something familiar gives you a clear sense of progress. Working through different instructors can help too, since one explanation may click where another doesn’t. And theory doesn’t need to be mastered all at once; learning a little alongside playing often makes the practical side easier to understand.


Sportsman, art lover, Guitarist 

# 22

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.