View post (Studio finished....for now !)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2003 2:26 pm
I will have another look at the transformer, thanks for the heads up (I to dazzle people when doffing my cap in the summer Tee He!)!

The setup isn’t that complicated. It is just a noisy thing going into a preamp going into a recorder, going into a computer and that is the critical path in each case.

Everything else is just gravy and monitoring! I could and did get rid of the recorder however it makes the process less fun as the computer (as it stands at the moment) can’t do triggered recording. I have been careful to bypass the preamps on the D1200 (they are not the best) using the optical S/PDIF input on the Korg, this also helps a lot!

Several people have said that the Tascam is not a good idea as its electronics will be harsh in terms of signal degradation. As this bit of kit is not in the critical recording chain (i.e. works after the signal has been written to the disk) and the room acoustics are currently rate limiting I figured Id give it a go and test it. So I put in an A/B box to see if bypassing the Tascam would make any difference and as I couldn’t hear any, it stays and saves me having to eBay it and get a hold of a small desk.

The computer holds up fine..... so far ! As you can see I have a bunch of pluggins (I didn’t mention Autotune which is also in there !) and I have run 16 tracks at 16 bit /48 mHz with about 2 plugins on each channel with out any major problems.

[Edited by Dr_simon on 08-24-2003 at 01:02 PM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS