View post (Best Metal Guitarist)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
12/17/2000 1:07 am
You're right, he did. And I know what you mean, he definitely doesn't sound anything like dimebag darrell or that style of metal. All I'm saying is that to judge him as a classical guitarrist because of this is unfair to him, cause he did a lot of great stuff, but if we look at his classical guitar playing it was not professional level. We have to acknowledge his contributions, and we have to recognize that they were contributions to the realm of rock/metal, not classical music. I don't say this to say anything bad about him, but compared to the greats of classical guitar, it's clear that he was a rock/metal guitarrist, and should be judged as thus. I would say the same for yngwie, if you put a classical guitar in his hands and tell him to play fingerstyle, he won't produce much, he's rather a rock/metal guitarrist heavily influenced by classical violin music.
I see where you're coming from though, i guess my point was that it's not fair to count him out because his music isn't purely metal like darrells is. I guess I'm saying that to me he produced better (better as in i like more, not saying this objectively) music that can be classified as metal, making him the better guitarrist. To you, dimebag's music is more metal, therefore he's the better metal guitarrist, am i getting this right?