View post (practicing major triads & inversions)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/27/2024 1:51 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Helios69

hey guitar tricks. 

so i have been inspired to begin the triads an inversions. i do know the theory from fundamentals an know the 1-3-5 notes from the major scale makes a major chord an the notes 1-minor3rd -5 makes a minor chord. 

is it essential for me to workout all the inversions/triads using the given scales in the triad an inversion series or could i just simply memorize all the patterns that guitar tricks teach? in other words. by memorizing all the patterns in the lessons in all the series. would i be missing out on any or do you cover all triads in all series? 

thankyou.

This depends on your skill level & musical goals.

I'm assuming you are referring to my tutorials on practicing major triads & inversions in this collection.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/triads-and-inversions

The first two tutorials are about the basics of chord theory.  It sounds like you understand that part!  The next eight tutorials are about systematically covering the fretboard in triads in 3 string groupings.

Some of the shapes are a little difficult for beginners.  And some of the groupings are more useful than others for certain types of music.  I did all possible groupings to make sure everything was covered.  But any given guitar learner might not need to practice all of them.  It's can't hurt to know and practice them all.  But it might be a better use of your practice time to work on just one set, while you are still going through a course & learning songs.

Going through all of them is a pretty serious time commitment!  So it's best to prioritize your practicing based on your skills & goals.

Which courses have you worked through?  What is an estimate of your current skill level?  What types of music or songs are you interested in?

If you can answer those questions I can better help you decide which parts of the triads tutorials will benefit you most.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory