View post (Academic study on Guitar Vitruosity from Cambridge)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/15/2023 2:41 pm

My goodness, this is a very in depth read. I only skimmed through it in sections. I was not aware that between academics, there was a dispute about what constitutes a virtuoso. I also need to check out Ritchie Blackmore. I never got into Deep Purple, but I should give them some time and hear why Ritchie is the legend that he is.

But what I found really interesting is that for decades, people, some quite famous like Clapton, have been talking about the decline of the guitar, but this does not jive with production numbers. Hmm... not sure what to make of this. I think to most kids, guitar is still cool and most kids see themselves up on stage with the lights etc... making a splash! How many guitars will find themselves under a Christmas tree this season?

And in regards as to where the music will go, who knows. Personally, I am going back in time. I am listening to stuff from the 20s trying to suss out where it all began. I couldn't even begin to tell you or anyone who the latest and greatest is. But maybe that is for the kids to talk about and old guys like me... get stuck in time.

Great find though!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!