View post (what to practice for an intermediate.)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/08/2023 6:47 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: jason.windish

thanks for the replies guys. good suggestions,and i am going to follow them. i guess my problem is  1. i gotta figure out how to come up with a good practice routine for myself, and 2. i want to be able to remember set solo's like back in black, but i feel there are probably be some easier solo's that i should learn first......i do know a few blues licks i just dont know where to take it from here, but yea ima check out chris's bread and butter licks course, i remember seeing it a few weeks ago but didnt watch all of it yet.

You're welcome.

Practice something specific everyday.  Do something fun you already know to warm up, then challenge yourself with something new.  Maybe 4 bars from the AC/DC solo you want to learn.  Then finish with something you know again to keep it fun.

Memorizing set solos is simply a matter of starting with one phrase at a time & repeating it until it's second nature.  Then go to the next phrase & keep adding them until you know the whole thing.  Try 2 or 4 bars at a time.  Be patient with yourself.  Keep going.

Learning the licks I linked will help you with those types of phrases you will see again and again.  Some of them are in that solo.

The improvisation concepts will help you see the patterns.  For example, in a couple of parts of the AC/DC solo he plays a simple descending melody: e-d-c#.  Those notes are chord tones from the chord progression:  E-D-A

e root of E, d root of D, c# major 3rd of A.

Then he plays a variety of pentatonic minor blues rock types licks that are cliches you find all over his other solos & a bunch of other rock solos.  Once you learn some of those licks or one of his solos you start to see patterns that get reused over & again.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory