View post (Super sized, plastic or heavy cardboard, basic guitar chord ++ 'flash cards'?)

View thread

mark1
Full Access
mark1
Full Access
11/13/2023 8:40 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

I've never come across a single set of cards that had everything I needed and none of what I didn't need at the time. Those cards associated with the last link that you provided would likely not be of much use to you. Most of it requires advanced knowledge of music theory. The chord card contains mostly esoteric chords that would be useful to whom?? (Dom6, Maj7add13) - and it's missing all of the common chords.

I think that you should concentrate on learning chords first, and by that I mean the following chords for each key:

Major

Maj6

Maj7

Dom7

Minor

Min6

Min7

Aug (sus) 4

Add 9

Then you can move on to all of the barre chords laid out in the CAGED system.

I think that the cards that I circled in an earlier post would be the best for you at this point.

Learning triads is important but really only for soloing, in my opinion.

Circle of Fifths is theoretical heavy lifting, and not something you need right to know now.

Scales are important, too. But you can get by with just a few for a long time, and you'll necessarily come across them in the core curriculum tutorials.

Don't take on too much at one time or you'll get frustrated rather quickly.

Sascha

Thank you again Miss Sascha. Your response is precisely why I  presented the alternatives. I will purchase the set you initially recommended.

BTW, I don't know if I already told you but your earlier suggestion of Miss Lisa knocked it out of the park! At this point in my learning curve - 3 weeks in - she is absolutely what I need. Slow go. Easy peasy. Don't take anything for granted. Thank you very much.

Mark